yet another example of us and them

grumpy old man 11:09 14 Aug 2019

Steve Coogan escapes a driving ban.

click here is yet another perfect example of people being treated different just because of who they are , I wonder if he would have been given the same treatment if he had been an unknown guy dragging his backside round the country in a ford transit van that was being held together with rust spots and gaffer tape ……. I think you know the answer to that one don't you.

This

Belatucadrus 11:33 14 Aug 2019

Why not just postpone the balance of four months until after he's finished filming.

Still not to worry with his track record it won't be long before he presses the go pedal too hard again and he'll be flat out of excuses.

wee eddie 12:08 14 Aug 2019

Interestingly, if you can convince the Beak that your Driving Licence is essential to your employment, and the support of your family or others, almost anyone, be they in Sales, Trade, Transport or whatever, or even living in an area where Public Transport is infrequent, can escape a driving Ban.

There was a case in Kilmarnock Sheriff's Court, a couple of years back, in which a Sales Rep had exceeded his 12 points twice and been allowed to retain his Licence, it was only on the third occurrence that his Licence was confiscated

Forum Editor 12:50 14 Aug 2019

*"I wonder if he would have been given the same treatment if he had been an unknown guy dragging his backside round the country in a ford transit van that was being held together with rust spots and gaffer tape"*

Let's get sensible, shall we?

Someone driving a van like the one you describe would be committing an offence of an entirely different kind. He would not have an MOT or be insured, and would face fines of up to £5000, apart from anything else.

Steve Coogan exceeded the speed limit by six miles per hour, and has been banned for two months, in addition to a £750 fine. Cancellation of the TV production he is involved in would have financial implications for lots of other people.

The magistrates took a pragmatic view, and I think they acted correctly.

Quickbeam 14:09 14 Aug 2019

Surely if he was banned the production team would have just hired him a driver to finish the project?

That would be a relatively small cost in the scheme of TV production budgets...

Govan1x 15:03 14 Aug 2019

Judges have shown leniency to other drivers in the same situation.

I think if he had been driving faster he would have been banned but 4 miles an hour over the limit is not exactly the crime of the century.

Pine Man 15:29 14 Aug 2019

If you look into the 'hardship' magistrates have to consider when sentencing it is not necessarily the offender who has to suffer but others who could be affected by his disqualification. Employees, family etc.

Coogan hasn't necessarily been treated leniently but treated fairly as many others who are not public figures also have.

oresome 16:31 14 Aug 2019

I think grumpy was speaking metaphorically with his example and we shouldn't take his description of the working class guy and his transit van too literally!

The problem with the lenient sentence for Steve Coogan is that it's not his first speeding offence. He was clocked doing 54mph in a 30 zone in Brighton. He received a 28-day ban and was fined £670 in early 2016 and the penalties haven't corrected his behaviour so far.

Forum Editor 17:12 14 Aug 2019

Quickbeam

"Surely if he was banned the production team would have just hired him a driver to finish the project?"

The project is based around Steve Coogan driving to various UK locations, he will be filmed driving - a bit like the series he did with Rob Brydon.

Without Coogan driving there couldn't be a project. There are around 20 other actors in the production, and they would all lose income if it was cancelled.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)