Yesterday I killed my Iron

wee eddie 10:15 30 Oct 2018
Answered

There were a load of shirts to Iron and the water tank ran dry. I filled its little plastic cup and poured away. There was a wee bubble and the water overflowed around the body of the iron.

Bang, something blew, but it was still heating. In fact getting hotter and hotter. The thermostat had blown. Rats, but it was over a decade old so owed me little.

So, I bought a new one. Not one of the cheapest but on the bottom of the Mid-range selection.

Wow, all things Ironing have changed in the last decade. Verily, it scooted over the surface of my shirts and almost halved the normal time to do a load.

Thank-you "bubble"

Forum Editor 16:43 30 Oct 2018

Aitchbee

I bet you do.

Aitchbee 16:47 30 Oct 2018

I'm clean!

Aitchbee 16:50 30 Oct 2018

... as a whistle.

oftmarshall678 17:07 30 Oct 2018

Same thing happened to me a year ago, but it was a bit more scary. The wire exploded in the middle which almost cut it in half. Good thing I stepped away right before the "exploding incident". Phew. Could've lost more than my iron that day.

Forum Editor 17:22 30 Oct 2018

I believe the two most common mishaps with irons are water getting into the electrics and the supply cable conductor insulation chafing where it continually rubs against some part of the ironing board in use.

canarieslover 12:02 31 Oct 2018

When I left school I went into bespoke tailoring. I worked in a small workroom at the back of the shop all the pressing was done with a 17lb electric iron and a damp cloth, no teflon coating then!! With an iron that size I soon built up muscles in my right arm. When I got married I would still iron my own shirts and my wife used to laugh as I picked up a domesticiron and lifted it above shoulder height. My arm muscles were expecting to lift 17lb's and the domestic iron only weighed a couple of pounds.

bumpkin 21:17 31 Oct 2018

* My arm muscles were expecting to lift 17lb's and the domestic iron only weighed a couple of pounds.*

That is the irony of the situation.

oresome 18:12 01 Nov 2018

It brings back memories of the lady who lived across the street from us when I were a lad.

When in use the ladies iron was plugged into the light socket above the table via a multiway adaptor and as she ironed the light used to swing too and fro and create dancing shadows in our living room. This would go on for some time has she had 7 children.

Health and Safety hadn't been heard of then.

qwbos 16:45 03 Nov 2018

I believe the two most common mishaps with irons are water getting into the electrics and the supply cable conductor insulation chafing where it continually rubs against some part of the ironing board in use.

Insulation chafing? You must have a very old iron -:)

Not an iron story, but the following demonstrates why idiots and electricity don't mix.

A few weeks ago, I stopped at the recycling bins at Sainsburys to offload my bottles etc. Lying in front of the bins was a Bosch hedge trimmer identical to my own one, and apparently in excellent condition, so I slung it in the boot thinking it would be handy for spares. When I got it home, I found there was a fist sized lump of black insulating tape on the cable about a metre from the trimmer. Unwrapping this eventually got me to the source of the problem.

The cable had been cut and "repaired". All neatly trimmed back and blue twisted to blue and brown twisted to brown. Then squeezed TOGETHER and wrapped up in metres of insulating tape.

The plug fuse was ok so the perpetrator must have been protected by an RCD.

Opened the case, terminated the cable, and it's been going strong since, apart from...………………….. when I cut through the cable!

First time I've done that in around 40 years of hedge cutting. I wonder if the damned thing came with a curse?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Bon Plan Adobe : 40 % de réduction sur l’abonnement Adobe CC