Yesterday I killed my Iron

wee eddie 10:15 30 Oct 2018
Answered

There were a load of shirts to Iron and the water tank ran dry. I filled its little plastic cup and poured away. There was a wee bubble and the water overflowed around the body of the iron.

Bang, something blew, but it was still heating. In fact getting hotter and hotter. The thermostat had blown. Rats, but it was over a decade old so owed me little.

So, I bought a new one. Not one of the cheapest but on the bottom of the Mid-range selection.

Wow, all things Ironing have changed in the last decade. Verily, it scooted over the surface of my shirts and almost halved the normal time to do a load.

Thank-you "bubble"

Forum Editor 10:37 30 Oct 2018

A decent iron is always a joy.

At the tender age of 10 I was taught to iron by my mother. Over the next few years she also taught me to cook, saying that if I could iron and cook I would be an attractive proposition for any woman.

I make no comment about that but I have always ironed my own clothes, and most of the time I do the cooking in our house - except cakes, my wife can beat me hollow at that.

I hope that you and your new iron have a long and happy life together.

wee eddie 10:52 30 Oct 2018

Interesting, I'm not really the marrying kind, although I have been, once in the past.

My girlfriend refused to iron my shirts and then got angry when I did them for myself. I should have seen it before we married. Doomed to failure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 30 Oct 2018

There are certain items I can repair but have never mastered the use of Irons and washing machines are two examples :0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 30 Oct 2018
Answer

wee eddie the iron couldn't have been that old if you weren't hanging it on a hook to heat over the coal fire :0)

Forum Editor 13:43 30 Oct 2018

My Welsh grandmother had a variety of irons that she used to heat up on the kitchen range.

She used to spit on the bottoms to see if they were hot enough - perhaps that's why I never fancied wearing anything she had ironed when I went to stay as a child.

Toneman 14:29 30 Oct 2018

Always switch off or unplug before refilling, water and electricity don't mix well....

Menzie 14:56 30 Oct 2018

I have a Singer iron, it is digital and has instead of numbers for the settings, different materials instead(denim, cotton, silk, etc.).

It glides over everything including buttons. It was costly but worth it.

Aitchbee 16:10 30 Oct 2018

... last time I used an iron was to smarten up some very sorry-looking crinkled bank notes ... a low heat setting was all that was needed.

Ah, the smell of newly-laundered money, lovely.

Forum Editor 16:21 30 Oct 2018

"Ah, the smell of newly-laundered money, lovely."

Expect a visit from the fraud squad at any moment.

Aitchbee 16:24 30 Oct 2018

FE, you kidding I hope!

;o]

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)