Hot Topics

For years/decades I have not had a TV

wee eddie 20:14 24 Jul 2019
Answered

Because of my accident I have been lent a small TV and I purchased an HDTV Indoor Aerial, from 1 by One, off eBay, however it does not have a direct line of sight to the Mast. The Telly works well getting about 36 Freeview Channels.

My Question: If I were to buy a decent 50" TV, would it work with the same Aerial?

john bunyan 15:04 25 Jul 2019

My old cathode Ray model took 2-3 people to lift it My 42” QLED can be lifted my me solo- amazing how electronics have become so much lighter and, mostly, better

wee eddie 19:16 25 Jul 2019

Well, that's sorted. Although, I'm sure I'll get confused.

Just bought a Panasonic Viera 42pz80 42" Plasma TV with a Fire Stick. Delivered, installed and Setup, for £100. I know that it's old and not Smart but, for me, it's a first step and cheaper than the £500 that I was budgeting

wee eddie 19:17 25 Jul 2019

Thanks everyone. You've been a godsend

john bunyan 19:53 25 Jul 2019

Thanks for the feedback: have years of interesting viewing .

Quickbeam 20:40 25 Jul 2019

Yes, if you buy the right technology now, it'll remain usable for a long time yet.

BT 10:47 26 Jul 2019

Yes, if you buy the right technology now, it'll remain usable for a long time yet.

Certainly true. I only normally ever replace a TV if its gone wrong. My previous one a 32" Finlux I'd had for 10 years and it was still working when I replaced it BUT It was taking perhaps 30/40 attempts with the remote to get it to come on but once it was on it worked perfectly and as it was just before Xmas I decided to replace it. Got a good deal on the 43" model 4K set (£299) so well pleased.

oresome 15:23 26 Jul 2019

The Panasonic plasma will give a slightly softer picture but a better viewing angle than many LCD TVs.

Not as energy efficient and more expensive to produce which was probably the main reason for their demise.

Our Panasonic had several cooling fans situated around the screen to keep it cool, but you didn't notice the noise they generated from a normal viewing distance. It was for a while relegated to the bedroom but the weight of the thing broke the glass top on the dressing table and I sold it on Gumtree.

Quickbeam 15:28 26 Jul 2019

I would still buy a none-smart TV now and use other methods of smartness that suit my needs more. For £100 you've got a real bargain and unexpected money in your pocket.

john bunyan 15:49 26 Jul 2019

Use a bit of the savings to get high gain roof aerial. You could DIY but not after your accident; do you have a “handy “ friend or relative? If not a local aerial install firm is worth a quote - £100 - £120

Quickbeam 16:46 26 Jul 2019

Don't do that yourself! Rod Hull did and fell to his death...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Pro review

How to paint a portrait study

What you need to work from home on a Mac

Comment télétravailler efficacement sur son ordinateur depuis son jardin ou sa terrasse ?