For years/decades I have not had a TV

wee eddie 20:14 24 Jul 2019
Answered

Because of my accident I have been lent a small TV and I purchased an HDTV Indoor Aerial, from 1 by One, off eBay, however it does not have a direct line of sight to the Mast. The Telly works well getting about 36 Freeview Channels.

My Question: If I were to buy a decent 50" TV, would it work with the same Aerial?

john bunyan 20:41 24 Jul 2019

A proper high gain aerial would be much better , and not TOO expensive. Also , depending on how far you sit from the TV , in my view 50” is a bit large. Our son in law bought a 55” one and moved to a home with a small lounge. He finds it a bit too big. We’ve just bought a 42” for a large bedroom and it’s fine. Do consider makes - some have more catch up services than others. Samsung is our favourite at the mo. The one we bought had a free soundbar which I updated for £50.

Quickbeam 20:53 24 Jul 2019

The screen size is irrelevant, if the receiver can pick up a good signal, it will be a good picture on any screen.

If you have good broadband, you can get a Freeview Plus box that makes the TV into a smart TV and then you can stream programmes to watch at a time of your choosing. I could never go back to watching TV the old way of on transmission live or even recording. I watch what I've missed on Catchup when I feel like it!

If you're buying a new smart TV, be aware that not all makes pickup all Catchup TV channels. Freeview Play is the standard to look for.

Quickbeam 21:02 24 Jul 2019

I have a Sony Bravia that gives me iPlayer & C5 catchup only. A Samsung that gives me iPlayer, ITV Hub & C4 only. That meant I had to change rooms to suit!

But my Panasonic Freeview Play box gets them all and loads more of the minor stations on Catchup.

So If you have a choice of an un-smart TV for less money than the same smart one, I'd get the thick TV and a Freeview box.

mrgrumpy 21:02 24 Jul 2019

2 tips with regards to television size

1st in a shop stand in front of the tv you intend buying then walk backwards until you feel comfortable looking at it , now look at how far you have walked away front it , do you have that distance from you to the tv in the room you want to put it in.

2nd tip , ask to look at the box it comes in even if somebody has to go end find it , some makers put recommended room size on the side of their boxes.

Quickbeam 21:12 24 Jul 2019

Freeview Play

Some, but not all TVs have this full feature.

1]: [click here

john bunyan 21:29 24 Jul 2019

Many smart TV’s have miracast which enables you to cast the screen of your smartphone or laptop, or you can connect a PC with HDMI to get more options. The TV we bought has both Freeview and Freesat, although we only use Freeview. The picture quality depends on the technology- Latest Samsung is QLED and LG and others OLED. However for those like me who only use Freeview, not Netflix etc there are no regular 4K broadcasts ( Wimbledon was one), so I may have bought an over specified one!

Menzie 23:13 24 Jul 2019

In answer to your question Wee Eddie, yes the connector for your aerial should attach right onto the new TV.

Every TV has a slight variance in how they handle low signals. Some might pull in a channel although it will be choppy and freeze often. Others won't even bother listing the channel.

Quickbeam 06:34 25 Jul 2019

Strangely I have to do any retuning on my upstairs bedroom feed which is from the same aerial. Retuning on the downstairs feed wont pickup either Yesterday on ch 25 or Sky News on ch 233. There will some other minor trash channels that I'm not bothered about.

That's really annoying as I have to carry the TV or FV box upstairs for the retune!

Quickbeam 06:47 25 Jul 2019

Also I get better station pickup from the Panasonic Freeview Play box, than my TVs, whether that's because it's only 2 years old Vs my TVs that are 6/7 years old, or that a FV box is more a dedicated device for FV reception I don't know. Does anyone have a newish Freeview Play TV?

oresome 08:17 25 Jul 2019

Unlike analogue TV signals which gradually deteriorated and went snowy, digital broadcasts give the same good picture until the point where they go blocky or freeze or simply don't decode the channel.

An outdoor aerial will give a more reliable signal and possibly more channels, but the picture quality will remain the same as the indoor aerial where there is a viable signal to both.

Don't forget you will need a TV licence.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleures imprimantes (2019)