WWW is more resiliant?

Nellie2 23:11 06 Feb 2007

Is this a sign that we are winning the war against malicious attacks? I sincerely hope so.

Quote;
Hackers briefly overwhelmed at least three of the 13 computers that help manage global computer traffic Tuesday in one of the most significant attacks against the Internet since 2002.

Experts said the unusually powerful attacks lasted for hours but passed largely unnoticed by most computer users, a testament to the resiliency of the Internet.

Source: click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:22 07 Feb 2007

It is a long time since I have seen a computer infected by a virus. I see many with Trojans and variations of SpyAxe and Spysheriff but these have been brought onto the computers by unwary users.

fourm member-your post is ever so slightly barking IMHO.

G

Nellie2 09:33 07 Feb 2007

I'm not FE and although I don't know him personally, we have had some interesting exchanges of views and information, both on the forums and off.

However... we are digressing from my subject for discussion which was, hopefully, to bring to your attention that the internet held it's own recently against a malicious attack, and that we should still do our bit, however small and insignificant you think your bit may be, to keep it running as smoothly as we can. Education of the unwary user is as important as keeping your own system locked down IMO.

Bingalau 11:03 07 Feb 2007

What does "IMO" and IMHO" mean please? Oh yes, I do know what "Slightly barking" means. ..Bingalau..

[email protected] 11:15 07 Feb 2007

In my opinion / in my humble opinion I think

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:19 07 Feb 2007
  Diemmess 11:25 07 Feb 2007

In my little corner, all I see is a huge volume of spam which varies like the waves on the shore.

Aol's spam filter puts most of it straight into a spam folder, but occasionally and it may have been Last Tuesday, there is a pile that bursts through for a couple of days.

Nothing of the sort coming through at present D.G.

Bingalau 11:50 07 Feb 2007

[email protected] and Gandalf. Thanks respectively for the explanation and the link. I have now bookmarked the link so perhaps will save me asking those type of questions again. For a while anyway, because I have a feeling it is another evolving language. ..Bingalau..

silverous 12:15 07 Feb 2007

Diemmess - I suspect the attack last Tuesday was some form of Denial of Service attack. The internet may be more resilient to those but I suspect you've hit the nail on the head with Spam. The spammers are always one step ahead of the spam filters and the sheer volume and difficulty of stopping, for example, image-based spam threatens the Internet or at least Internet based email.

I believe the technologies exist to prevent Spam however for them to be effective would require a co-ordinated effort that doesn't seem to exist.

I think Spam is far more of a threat than individual DoS attacks.

Totally-braindead 15:48 07 Feb 2007

Just trying to put a bit of humour into a serious subject - sorry Nellie2, I have a lot of time for the work you do against malware and had no intention of hijacking the thread or anything else.
fourm member do I detect a hint of jealousy he asked tongue in cheek?

Nellie2 17:35 07 Feb 2007

Apologies really aren't necessary, I've got a sense of humour too you know!! :-)

The spam problem and Ddos attacks have been mentioned, a quote from the BBC article I linked to

quote;
While most owners are oblivious to the infection, the networks of tens of thousands of computers are used to launch spam e-mail campaigns, denial-of-service attacks or online fraud schemes.
unquote

And don't think this can't happen to you or to people that you know. The recent 'Storm Worm' is one such infection that will install a rootkit and open up your computer to a bot herder. click here for more information on that one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Brilliant (and Weird) World Cup 2018 Art and Design Projects

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?