Writing a will needs an expert.

hastelloy 09:48 21 Mar 2018
Answered

I just replied to the LPA thread and thought a separate thread on wills would be better.

It is very easy when trying to write a will to put something which is very clear to you but ambiguous to others. Take this example: "I leave my estate to be divided equally between Mr A, Mrs B, Miss C and Mr and Mrs D.

How many beneficiaries are there?

lotvic 10:22 21 Mar 2018

lotvic 10:28 21 Mar 2018

I meant estate divided into 4 shares between 5 people. Mr and Mrs D get half of one quarter each. That makes 5 beneficiaries.

Quickbeam 17:21 21 Mar 2018

Is there a prize?

Quickbeam 17:24 21 Mar 2018

I think a solicitor would specifically specify a 1/4 to each with Mr & Mrs being one 1/4. I think if it was between 5 it should say Mr D & Mrs D.

But don't write your will on my advice!

bumpkin 21:06 21 Mar 2018

hastelloy, I intend to make mine soon. I would only have it done by a solictor for the very reasons that you have pointed out. Are they still required to be handwritten?

wee eddie 23:34 21 Mar 2018

bumpkin: a quill will do, the pricked finger is no longer necessary

hastelloy 14:41 22 Mar 2018

lotvic & Quickbeam

That is the way we did it although there is room for argument.

bumpkin

A solicitor will have it typed out for you to sign.

I think in October (may be November) many solicitors wave their fee in return for a donation to charity.

wee eddie 17:35 22 Mar 2018

If your Will is for less than £10,000. Then it's no big deal.

If you own property, your home, and have other assets, then I would strongly advise involving a Solicitor

Forum Editor 17:48 22 Mar 2018
Answer

Mr and Mrs D are not a single legal entity - they are two individuals. The way you have worded things means that they would both be entitled to a fifth share, as would the other beneficiaries.

If you don't want that to happen, you should amend the wording to stipulate that Mr A, Mrs B, Miss C each get one quarter of your disposable estate, with the remainder divided equally between Mr. and Mrs. D.

It also helps to include at this stage a provision for what happens if one or more of these people pre-deceases you. Then you can relax.

hastelloy 18:12 22 Mar 2018

FE

My intention was to point out how easy it is to be ambiguous and I think I achieved that.

My wife and I were the executors of this particular will and, unfortunately also Mr & Mrs D. After discussion with the other beneficiaries we decided to avoid possible legal action by settling on 4 equal shares rather than 5. The amount involved wasn't (in our estimation) sufficient to cause conflict.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)