Would you pay £34.00/Kg for a sheet of plastic?

caccy 17:44 07 Nov 2018
Answered

This must be the most profitable item sold in shops.

I suddenly realized that this is what I was paying when I bought a piece of fish in a local supermarket and a very thin sheet of plastic was put on the scales the fish placed on top of it weighed then priced.

When I pointed this out to the shop assistant he said that "it didn't weigh anything"! I suspect this item that weighs "nothing" is purchased by the ton.

A very nice profit is made thank you.

wee eddie 23:28 07 Nov 2018

Warlord, meat without fat is almost flavourless. Pork without fat to give it texture is horrible.

bumpkin 23:32 07 Nov 2018

I have the answer, take your own sheet of plastic, get them to TARE the scales and then add the fish.

Quickbeam 06:39 08 Nov 2018

Salmon at Morrison's is about a fiver a kilo, is the line caught salmon considerably tastier, or an elite blag?

Quickbeam 06:42 08 Nov 2018

I often buy trout and would agree that a river caught one is marginally tastier than a farmed one, but not enough to pay 6 times more for it.

john bunyan 07:43 08 Nov 2018

I occasionally fish for Rainbow trout in a local lake. Example of price is £35 for 3 fish. With luck the gross weight is about 7.5 Kg for 3, so after gutting etc, maybe a nett cost of £9 per Kg. That does not include my car cost, depreciation on fishing tackle, a couple of artificial flies nor my time!! All in jest of course but a different angle (!) on the issue.

Quickbeam 08:03 08 Nov 2018

Do you get free plastic sheets with them?

john bunyan 08:27 08 Nov 2018

No, I take an old plastic carrier bag of my own.

BT 08:34 08 Nov 2018

Pork without fat to give it texture is horrible.

OK you need a bit of fat but what makes me gag is when you see the fat still white and basically uncooked especially when TV 'Chefs' cook it. I like the pork fat cooked till it starts to render and loses the raw look, even better if its a bit crispy. I saw lamb chops on TV the other day with white uncooked fat and red raw inside. I don't mind it a bit pink but still raw NOT! Can't understand the trend to eat meat almost raw these days after all cavemen discovered that it was much nicer cooked.

BT 08:45 08 Nov 2018

Most electronic Scales are only accurate to + or- 5 grams

I'm pretty sure that commercial/retail scales need to be much more accurate than that and have to be tested and calibrated. I know when I worked that the scales used for Average Weight recording of our production were Laboratory type and very accurate.

Even my Kitchen Digital scales read to 1 gm. I'm not sure of their accuracy as obviously they aren't calibrated but they are reproduceable.

Forum Editor 16:53 08 Nov 2018

john bunyan

I also fly fish for my own lake trout.

My lake charges me £20 for the day, which includes two fish. They taste great, and I've had a very relaxing day. Even factoring in all my costs it's excellent value for a peaceful day out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Best Wacom deals 2019

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Les meilleurs smartphones Android (2019)