Would you make him a Lord?

Cymro. 11:31 18 Jan 2019

BBC link

Such is the anger with the Speaker at senior levels of government, it has been suggested he could be blocked from getting a peerage when he retires. Ministers are furious at what they see as John Bercow's "bias" during Commons debates on Brexit. At least he has a bit of personality about him and that is more than can be said about many in parliament. Mind you they don't give perages for people's personalities and he has done the mistake of offending those in very high places.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 18 Jan 2019

Rather than hand out awards I would sack the majority of politicians for not carrying out the job they are paid for, never mind not carrying out the will of their constituents.

qwbos 15:44 18 Jan 2019

Bercow was put up as speaker by Labour for a reason. Putting aside his alleged, bias and various other misdemeanours, he clearly sees himself as a Leonard Sachs impersonator, and has destroyed what little dignity there was left after the antics of his two most recent predecessors.

Surely the function of the speaker is to be seen, and only heard when necessary, and then, as briefly as possible. I can't remember either George Thomas or Bernard Weatherill resorting to the theatrics of their successors.

Bercow should get his P45 and nothing else. There are enough pompous windbags in the Lords. No need for more.

Quickbeam 15:52 18 Jan 2019

If the norm is to move to the Lords, it would be petty minded to not to because he wasn't a toady whatever we might think of him.

Pine Man 18:53 18 Jan 2019

Ironic that yesterday I had lunch with a group of people I have known for years and, genuinely, the majorty thought he used to be a LABOUR MP!

alanrwood 19:00 18 Jan 2019

I think he has done a good job and I have a great deal of time for him. Just because he did not kowtow to the tory grandees is a positive in my opinion. I wish there were more like him in parliament.

Quickbeam 07:03 20 Jan 2019

He's now threatening to stay put until May's goes first!

Old Deuteronomy 10:58 20 Jan 2019

End life peerages, too many are not really justified and introduce an elected upper house.

Quickbeam 12:04 20 Jan 2019

Oh I agree with that!

A full scale electoral reform all round.

Forum Editor 12:08 20 Jan 2019

Pine Man

"....genuinely, the majorty thought he used to be a LABOUR MP!"

They were possibly thinking of the time when there were strong rumours that Bercow was about to defect to the Labour party.

Aitchbee 14:29 20 Jan 2019

At least he has a bit of personality about him

yes, with that build and stature [plus voice] I could see him as the mighty Dwarf Lord Bercow in the Lord of The Rings ;o]

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?