Would you describe this as inactive?

oresome 13:28 04 Jul 2019

I was a bit miffed that on a recent health check, the nurse described me as inactive presumably because I don't partake in any sport.

This year I've replaced the flooring in the lounge, dining room and hallway with laminate flooring. Fitted a heated towel rail in the downstairs loo. Fitted a new kitchen sink and tap and a water pump to boost the flow. Fitted new blinds, curtains and poles. Minor decorating jobs in both our and my daughters home. Repointed the gable verge on the garage roof and repaired broken paving slabs at my daughters house.

These tasks inevitably produce waste that has to packed into the car and transported to the council tip.

Every day tasks like car washing, window cleaning and grass and hedge cutting go without saying.

canarieslover 14:15 04 Jul 2019

And you don't have time for a quick run round the block? For many people, especially home owners, retirement is often the busiest time of their lives, it's just that what we do doesn't tick boxes.

Haddince 15:21 04 Jul 2019

If activity is limited to the gym or sports, then you're inactive on a technicality. But no, I wouldn't say that that is inactive. What you're doing is what people in so-called "blue zones" also do, and we can assume that they're the healthiest among us.

WhirlingRound 18:03 04 Jul 2019

If most of what you do does not involve physical exertion that causes your heart rate to increase, then your GP is generally right. General DIY as you have described isn't necessarily physically demanding.

Paving slab replacement (depends on their size and weight) and packing waste into your car is the most physically demanding of the activities you've listed.

A half hour brisk walk (not at dawdling speed) everyday will clock up 210 minutes of activity over the week. That's more than what the NHS guidelines suggest to be classed as active.

If your GP has not yet referred you to it, here are the guidelines

oresome 19:03 04 Jul 2019

The guidelines you link to don't cover my age which is 70 plus.

wee eddie 19:11 04 Jul 2019

Just think 65.

Forum Editor 19:19 04 Jul 2019

Medical professionals tend to judge 'activity'on the basis of its cardio-vascular effect, as WhirlingRound has indicated. In old age, the 'golden' activity is walking. Fitting new sinks, laying floors, and putting up curtain rails don't tick the box from the cardio-vascular point of view.

That's probably what the nurse was getting at.

oresome 19:20 04 Jul 2019

Apologies, I now see there is a link to my age range.

grumpy old man 19:39 04 Jul 2019

So anyways a few years ago I told my doctor I worked in a 100 yard long machine shop that involve a lot of walking. I also said I load/unload heavy castings into a cnc lathe and cylindrical grinder. In between machining cycles I did weight training type movements with the castings.

The doctor said your doing the wrong sort of exercise ?????

Quickbeam 19:42 04 Jul 2019

Does gardening count?

That can have you working up into a sweat along deep breathing.

oresome 20:40 04 Jul 2019

I think the wife's right...…..I spend far too much time on the computer.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei given 90-day extension to trade with US companies

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)