Would you Complain if your phone...

Menzie 02:21 18 Feb 2019

... woke you up in the middle of the night due to an Amber Alert?

That is what happened this week when the police were requesting the aid of the public in finding a kidnapped child.

There is an emergency broadcast system so every mobile phone in a certain area can be alerted which was used in this case.

This caused the emergency services to be inundated with calls complaining from some of those awoken from their slumber.

It's started a debate (more like an argument) this week with those who oppose this alert and those who like it.

The story can be found here.

john bunyan 13:12 19 Feb 2019

I think it would be a good idea, in UK, to add such a call out scheme to. a “Neighbourhood Watch” scheme where one could opt in to be on the list of volunteers who could be called out in emergency such as a lost child. I say opt in as many folk are not fit enough to take part or may have other reasons not to be on the list. Even at my age , I would have a go if needed by police etc

Menzie 15:50 19 Feb 2019

My mobile phone is the only way to contact me. I haven't owned a landline since 2001 and that was only because I needed it for dial-up.

The phone does come in handy, last year when someone rear ended me at a red light I had to use my phone to take pictures and contact the police for a report.

The guy tried to tell his insurance company that I stopped suddenly. The report and my submitted rear and front dashcam footage showed me fully stopped at a light and him looking the other way distracted as he drove into me.

My block of flats doesn't have a neighborhood watch but we have security guards that patrol the building at nights.

john bunyan 16:31 19 Feb 2019

Without a land line, how do you get internet?

Few properties in U K have private guards.

Aitchbee 16:47 19 Feb 2019

Few properties in U K have private guards.

ah but, most multi-storeys have 24/7 security cameras and round-the-clock caretakers, jb.

btw, alarm calls to the Grenfell tennants' mobiles might have saved many lives.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)