Would you Complain if your phone...

Menzie 02:21 18 Feb 2019

... woke you up in the middle of the night due to an Amber Alert?

That is what happened this week when the police were requesting the aid of the public in finding a kidnapped child.

There is an emergency broadcast system so every mobile phone in a certain area can be alerted which was used in this case.

This caused the emergency services to be inundated with calls complaining from some of those awoken from their slumber.

It's started a debate (more like an argument) this week with those who oppose this alert and those who like it.

The story can be found here.

Quickbeam 08:58 18 Feb 2019

I don't take mine to bed.

Old Deuteronomy 09:27 18 Feb 2019

I turn mine off overnight.

Pine Man 11:05 18 Feb 2019

Mine is left on but far enough away not to be heard when I am in bed.

Cymro. 11:42 18 Feb 2019

I think it just shows how selfish people can be. To Hell with the kidnaped child all I want is my sleep.

Menzie 13:01 18 Feb 2019

Cymro - I agree entirely; if the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of their relatives I guarantee that those opposing this would want the alert out immediately if a similar situation arose in their lives.

My phone is kept in my room with me as it's my alarm in the mornings. All my Android phones have had what is called a smart profile meaning that after a certain time text messages, calls and alerts are automatically on vibrate. Calls from immediate family however are on normal ring so I don't miss any emergencies.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 18 Feb 2019

Selfish B'stards

Just as bad as those people who stand and video an incident rather than help out oe even use their phones to call for help.

Menzie 17:29 18 Feb 2019

Fruit Bat - There is an image doing the rounds online that makes fun of that.

I've found it...

BT 09:25 19 Feb 2019

..so I don't miss any emergencies.

It beats me how we managed pre mobile phone. It seems to be the 'shout' we hear all the time now. Kids just have to have a mobile 'in case of emergencies'. We have to have our phones switched on at all times wherever we are 'in case of emergencies'. Lets face it most of us have never had an emergency where our mobile phone has been of help in solving it.

john bunyan 13:12 19 Feb 2019

I think it would be a good idea, in UK, to add such a call out scheme to. a “Neighbourhood Watch” scheme where one could opt in to be on the list of volunteers who could be called out in emergency such as a lost child. I say opt in as many folk are not fit enough to take part or may have other reasons not to be on the list. Even at my age , I would have a go if needed by police etc

Menzie 15:50 19 Feb 2019

My mobile phone is the only way to contact me. I haven't owned a landline since 2001 and that was only because I needed it for dial-up.

The phone does come in handy, last year when someone rear ended me at a red light I had to use my phone to take pictures and contact the police for a report.

The guy tried to tell his insurance company that I stopped suddenly. The report and my submitted rear and front dashcam footage showed me fully stopped at a light and him looking the other way distracted as he drove into me.

My block of flats doesn't have a neighborhood watch but we have security guards that patrol the building at nights.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Can you trademark a moving image?

Best free iPhone games 2019

Les bons plans audio (2019)