Would you become an organ donor

Forum Editor 09:44 15 Jan 2016

or would you stop a loved one's organs from being used?

A few years ago, I spent a day at the UK transplant coordination centre in Bristol, seeing how the system works to match available organs to people on the waiting list, and then passing the information to Transplant recovery teams across the country. It was an inspiring experience, and I got to speak to the parents of a young man who had been killed in a motorcycle accident. His organs had helped to save the lives of others.

The service is finding it increasingly hard to get enough organs, and I wondered what your views are - what are your feelings on the subject?

Quickbeam 08:22 21 Jan 2016

Or you could choose blissful anonymity.

Which I find strange in his case, I half expected his ashes to be the first to go into space.

1]: [click here

chub_tor 12:50 21 Jan 2016

I have been registered as an organ donor for as long as I can remember and I was a willing blood donor for many years until I was refused because I had received blood myself many years ago before it was screened for BSE. At 77 I doubt that much of myself would be suitable for donation and any remains will go to the crematorium. My wife on the other hand is dead set against any form of body/blood donation and no she is not a Jehovah's Witness.

Forum Editor 16:31 21 Jan 2016

kad292

"...thought you meant on the beach."

No worries.

In fact, I don't see a problem with scattering ashes on a beach, provided it's done when there aren't crowds of people around. Beaches get a lot worse than sterile ashes on them, and the sea deals with most of it.

Cremation is a far more hygienic way of disposing of corpses than burying them in the ground. Once a person dies, the body is just that - a lifeless thing. It no longer has any relevance or meaning, in my view.

LastChip 17:32 21 Jan 2016

The real truth is, it's what you leave behind for your family in terms of good (or bad) memories that will determine how you are remembered. And even then, in the scheme of things, unless you were someone famous who did amazing (or dreadful) things or discovered something incredible, 30 - 50 years down the line, little is going to be remembered of you.

There might be some old family photograph that has your name and a date on, but your great grand children (if you have any), will not know much about you and probably, will not be in the least bit interested.

That's life (and death) whether we like it or not.

bumpkin 19:14 21 Jan 2016

Pleased to donate my spare parts as long as they go to someone in Scotland:-)

LastChip 21:30 21 Jan 2016

spider9, no I think it's just being pragmatic :-)

Can you remember much about your great grandfather? And even if you can, can you remember much about your great, great grandfather? You'd be unusual if you could.

Strawballs 22:54 21 Jan 2016

I carry a donor card!

chub_tor 11:06 23 Jan 2016

LastChip There might be some old family photograph that has your name and a date on, but your great grand children (if you have any), will not know much about you and probably, will not be in the least bit interested.

And that is why my wife spends much of her time in nursing homes making Memory Books that can be passed on to the family after the owner dies. With the permission of the family she talks to the elderly person and records their memories of their life and trawls through the various boxes and biscuit tins and occasionally photo albums which she passes to me for scanning, cropping etc. She them combines all this information into a loose leaf album and gives it to the person whose life story it is. It not only helps them to remember their own past (particularly good for those with dementia) but helps the children, grand children and great grandchildren understand what happened during that person's life. Some amazing stories have emerged about lives lived through two World Wars. These books are always gratefully received and are in contrast to your "not in the least bit interested." In fact demand is so great we have difficulty keeping up.

bumpkin 12:24 23 Jan 2016

chub_tor, what an excellent thing for your wife to be doing, was it her own idea or is it a general thing. I would imagine she finds it very rewarding and interesting and hope that the families appreciate it.

wee eddie 13:58 23 Jan 2016

In some of our Sink Estates, there are Grandmothers in their 30's and Great Grandmothers in their 50's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

George Wylesol's new book is a demonic take on 90s internet

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Test : l'Amazon Echo 3, un design et des performances audio perfectionnés