Would you become an organ donor

Forum Editor 09:44 15 Jan 2016

or would you stop a loved one's organs from being used?

A few years ago, I spent a day at the UK transplant coordination centre in Bristol, seeing how the system works to match available organs to people on the waiting list, and then passing the information to Transplant recovery teams across the country. It was an inspiring experience, and I got to speak to the parents of a young man who had been killed in a motorcycle accident. His organs had helped to save the lives of others.

The service is finding it increasingly hard to get enough organs, and I wondered what your views are - what are your feelings on the subject?

exdragon 09:33 16 Jan 2016

I've been registered for organ donation for as long as i can remember but now, being over 70, spoke to the transplant people to ask if they'd still want me and the answer was that they could possibly use the corneas. I'm now veering towards leaving my body to the Anatomy Dept at Bristol University. My problem is that I don't want to be buried as there would be no one to tend the grave and I hate the idea of cremation. Cuts down on the options a bit, doesn't it!

Quickbeam 10:05 16 Jan 2016

Burial at sea...?

Forum Editor 10:32 16 Jan 2016

exdragon

"I hate the idea of cremation"

When the time came, you wouldn't know about it, would you? There will probably come a time when there is no option.

exdragon 15:15 16 Jan 2016

I just hate the thought of someone chucking into the fire a person they've lived with, laughed with and loved. Totally silly, but it's what I feel. I'd rather my desiccated body was used for practice!

Forum Editor 15:48 16 Jan 2016

exdragon

"I just hate the thought of someone chucking into the fire a person they've lived with, laughed with and loved."

Fair enough, it's a very personal thing. My view is that a clean fire, over with quite quickly, is far preferable to putting said person's body into a box and burying it deep in the cold, damp ground.

exdragon 15:53 16 Jan 2016

Another reason why I don't want to be buried! Totally illogical, but I'm quite happy with the thought of being cut up and then the remains being cremated. That's what my dad did over 50 years ago and I still remember him discussing his wishes over a bacon and egg breakfast which upset my mother no end!

Forum Editor 16:20 16 Jan 2016

"I still remember him discussing his wishes over a bacon and egg breakfast which upset my mother no end!"

My wife is a bit like that, but as far as I am concerned a body is just that - once you've died it is just something to be disposed of in the quickest, cleanest way. Sentimentality is for memories of a person, not for a dead body.

The one thing I totally understand is the fact that surviving loved ones might want a place to visit - somewhere they go to remember the person who has died. It doesn't have to be a gravestone, although that's the traditional thing. I don't have any religious beliefs, and my ashes will be sprinkled into the sea on a certain British beach that I particularly love. My wife and I have spent many happy times walking and sitting there.

You often see wooden benches dedicated to people who loved a particular place or scenic view, and I think that's a nice idea.

TopCat® 17:05 16 Jan 2016

"There is no age limit on bone and skin donations.."

It's good to know that, FE, as I've often pondered whether parts of me would be suitable when I eventually shed "this mortal coil." Don't want to rush things though! :)

Cremation will also be the choice disposal of my wife and I. TC.

kad292 17:13 16 Jan 2016

"* my ashes will be sprinkled into the sea on a certain British beach that I particularly love.*", nice sentiment but would this be allowed unless done so surreptitiously.? I am of the view that 'we eat nature and nature eats us' so no funeral or service have a wake instead and let doctors take what they find salvable then the remains onto a bier as they do in some cultures and let the animals feed,out of nature and back in so to speak.

kad292 17:15 16 Jan 2016

Sorry FE just reread your post missed the in the sea remark thought you meant on the beach.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)