Wooden trellis, pre-build or make in situ?

Brumas 19:34 09 Nov 2008

My latest project is making a ‘structure’ which, when added to the original single arch, will form a rose-arch. The original arch, spanning my front garden gate, is approx. 6’6” high x 3’6” wide and is made out of 3”x3” fence post.

I have made another arch the same dimensions and have joined it to the original with 16” spacers of the same fence posting thus forming a ‘tunnel’ and a neat little arch!
I intend to have trellising covering the top and sides and have calculated the amount of inch and half x half inch wood I shall need, now do I
A) make the trellising up on the floor or do I
B) fix the verticals to the arch and then secure the horizontals to make up the trellis as I go?
The reason I ask is because if the original arch was perfectly square method A would seem the most logical but as the arch has more angles then Del Boy I fear it would not work and bits would protrude where they shouldn’t and spaces would appear where there should be trellising
Whereas if I built as I went I could adjust as necessary bearing in mind that I am what is affectionately known as a ‘bodger’ not a skilled carpenter ;o)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I actually bought the timber from the saw mill on Ford & Etal Estates after I had watched it being sawn and, as well as saving lots of hard-earned spent an enjoyable interlude watching craftsmen work un-hurried in an idyllic location and enjoyed the ‘craic’

canarieslover 19:48 09 Nov 2008

Carry on 'bodging' if you think that otherwise you will not get it fitting. I have 'bodging' down to an art form nowadays and very satisfying it is. Only last week I was re-installing XP on a drive hanging outside the case so that I could put the cables back on the original drive when I needed to do something important. Go for it!!

Bingalau 20:23 09 Nov 2008

If it was me I would use method "B", It sounds more logical and although probably taking longer to do, you would be able to cut each piece to size. I'm no carpenter either, but I managed to build a wooden decking type balcony outside my French Windows as they were too far off the ground to step down. My grandchildren pretend it is the Titanic because it is also shaped in a semi-circle, with steps at one end so they can go down to the lower deck (Lawn).

ray7 21:26 09 Nov 2008

Go for it. By the time you have a climber around the arch, no-one will notice what a complete hash you made of the construction

I speak from experience.!

Brumas 22:14 09 Nov 2008

I will try and complete the task tomorrow, it was impossible today as we have had all four seasons, weather-wise and I didn't have much time anyway after the remembrance service.

I have two fragrant climbing/rambling roses which I shall plant when I have finished and the stain/preservative has dried - 'Bobby James' and 'Aloha' - so roll on the Spring!

lofty29 22:37 09 Nov 2008

Have used the inplace method several times myself, and as ray7 say's once the climber has grown no one will notice anyway, Best of luck anyway, one guy I knew was always known as "the brilliant bodger"

Forum Editor 22:38 09 Nov 2008

You'll find it far easier to get a decent result than if you try to prefabricate something.

Pay particular attention to the end grain when you're applying the preservative, for that is the part of external timbers most vulnerable to rot.

Brumas 23:42 09 Nov 2008

After all this expert advice I am thinking of taking a stand at the Chelsea Flower Show and I shall also be available for private commissions for eclectic garden furniture :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?