Hot Topics

Wonders never cease!

Stuartli 13:43 17 Apr 2009

A cheap "hi-fi" (deliberate use of quotes!) proves a winner:

click here

laurie53 20:12 17 Apr 2009

I thought the term Hi Fi had a clearly defined specification, and the term may not be used unless the equipment meets that spec.

Or has that long gone?

Stuartli 00:00 18 Apr 2009

>>I thought the term Hi Fi had a clearly defined specification>>

No, high fidelity doesn't have a "clearly" defined specification - it's an impossibility.

In fact the specification possibilities run into the millions - what we do know is that Tesco's "hi-fi" stereo system doesn't come under such a banner and that's without ever having heard it...:-)

High Fidelity is sound that's comes as close as possible to the original using musical reproduction equipment such as turntables, tuners, amplifiers, speakers etc.

Quickbeam 00:37 18 Apr 2009

"hi-fi" is probably the most misused term in consumer sound systems"
I think I'll pour myself a Hi-Fi while I think about that click here ... I had to make do with a Tobermoray instead...

Hi-fi in the '60s was anything better that a Dansette, so the Tesco stereo probably fits that bill.

Forum Editor 08:23 18 Apr 2009

an indication of quality.

Take a look at the sales figures of UK newspapers if you want proof of that.

Quickbeam 08:34 18 Apr 2009

"Popularity isn't necessarily an indication of quality."

Yes, everyone had a Dansette. We had one from 1960 'til '72 when I started work and bought a Sony separates system.

The cost of that in real today terms was probably a couple of thousand pounds, and the Tesco hi-fi will probably match that '70s kit for quality.

laurie53 08:34 18 Apr 2009

"No, high fidelity doesn't have a "clearly" defined specification - it's an impossibility."

Thought I'd seen it defined somewhere, but as I suggested, it's long gone.

"high-fidelity equipment has minimal amounts of noise and distortion and an accurate frequency response as set out in 1973 by the German Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) standard DIN 45500. This standard was well intentioned, but only mildly successful in defining 'high-fidelity'. DIN 45 500 approval provided audio equipment buyers with reassurance that their equipment was capable of good quality reproduction. In theory, only stereo equipment that met the standard could bear the words 'hi-fi', but in practice, the term was widely misapplied to audio products that did not remotely approach the DIN basis specifications."

Quickbeam 08:36 18 Apr 2009

... apart from the speakers, I still have the original Sony teak speaker boxes with newer internals.

Legolas 10:47 18 Apr 2009

It looks very nice and a great price.....but where do I play my LP's?

Quickbeam 10:55 18 Apr 2009

They were just a passing phase like eight track and compact cassettes and 45s and CDs and MP3 and...

Stuartli 11:03 18 Apr 2009

I think I'll stick with my (1979) NAD 7030 tuner-amplifier, Thorens 160 and Audiomaster LMS1 speakers - still comfortably see off the Tesco upstart...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

For Microsoft, 2020 is a year of profound change

Design Museum's From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers show to finally open

EvilQuest malware 'is after your data, not your money'

Les meilleurs SSD (2020)