Wonders never cease!

Stuartli 13:43 17 Apr 2009

A cheap "hi-fi" (deliberate use of quotes!) proves a winner:

click here

Kemistri 14:12 17 Apr 2009

Sales of Otex ear drops must be down.

interzone55 14:44 17 Apr 2009

It's all down to customer expectations - if you buy something that's cheap, and only use it to listen to Radio One or the latest X-Factor drivel, then this product will probably be OK.

When I worked in Index we used to sell personal cassette players for £4.99, ie cheaper than a pre-recorded cassette. We sold hundreds of these, but we had a lot of people returning them because they sounded awful - I pointed out that the player was cheaper than the cassette, of they want something that sounds OK, buy a Sony Walkman...

laurie53 20:12 17 Apr 2009

I thought the term Hi Fi had a clearly defined specification, and the term may not be used unless the equipment meets that spec.

Or has that long gone?

bluto1 20:21 17 Apr 2009

I think you are absolutely right, and adding to that Stereo is not necessarily Hi-Fi. I'd hazard a guess that you couldn't buy a good Hi-Fi for £16.49.

wolfie3000 20:54 17 Apr 2009

Bet it breaks within a month of buying it.

DieSse 21:49 17 Apr 2009

"hi-fi" is probably the most misused term in consumer sound systems - that and "watts".

This might indeed be a good value for money budget sound unit.

Hi-fi it ain't.

Stuartli 00:00 18 Apr 2009

>>I thought the term Hi Fi had a clearly defined specification>>

No, high fidelity doesn't have a "clearly" defined specification - it's an impossibility.

In fact the specification possibilities run into the millions - what we do know is that Tesco's "hi-fi" stereo system doesn't come under such a banner and that's without ever having heard it...:-)

High Fidelity is sound that's comes as close as possible to the original using musical reproduction equipment such as turntables, tuners, amplifiers, speakers etc.

Quickbeam 00:37 18 Apr 2009

"hi-fi" is probably the most misused term in consumer sound systems"
I think I'll pour myself a Hi-Fi while I think about that click here ... I had to make do with a Tobermoray instead...

Hi-fi in the '60s was anything better that a Dansette, so the Tesco stereo probably fits that bill.

rdave13 02:15 18 Apr 2009

'Hi-fi in the '60s was anything better that a Dansette'. True but the Dansette brought music to the people at a reasonable price.
Tesco has made a bit of a killing by selling a product that simply appeals to the buyers. Hi-Fi or not.

Forum Editor 08:23 18 Apr 2009

an indication of quality.

Take a look at the sales figures of UK newspapers if you want proof of that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)