winter fuel allowance should be scrapped

N47. 19:41 03 Jan 2013

for the majority and just given to those who claim pension credit ie the poorest of pensioners.

If the working well paid can loose their child benefit if one of them earns over £60,000 why can't those pensioners who do not really need it, have it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256466/Paul-Burstow-Four-pensioners-lose-help-fuel-bills-raise-1-5billion-fund-elderly-care.html

john bunyan 17:43 04 Jan 2013

I believe it would be simpler to incorporate winter fuel allowance with the OAP - still pay it as a lump sum for those who need it in the winter and would not put it on one side. As pensions are taxable, those with a total income above the tax threshold either for 20, 40 or 45% would pay tax on it and the whole system would be easier to administer.

lotvic 18:57 04 Jan 2013

FE, I apologise for not refreshing the page before I posted at 5:34PM which would have enabled me to read your post Today at 5:23PM rendering mine superfluous.

carver 09:36 05 Jan 2013

fourm member no but it's statements such as yours that makes it sound like many pensioners are off to the Maldives for holidays because they are rolling in money and as I stated earlier, Saga caters for the over 50's who if I remember properly are not classed as pensioners and not collecting state pension.

And just what % of older people are taking these holidays 2%- 3%

F.E it does not matter if you have to claim or are paid automatically at pension age the winter fuel allowance is not forcibly thrust upon you, if you so want you can refuse to accept it, granted not many people do but it is an option.

Quickbeam 09:45 05 Jan 2013

FE:

"Can you explain how you think that governments have made the 'persistent assumption'?"

I had in mind the loss of child benefit if one person earns more than 60k & the loss of your home to fund going into care.

That leaves me thinking that there is a persistent government assumption that the better we work through life for ourselves, the more we are happy to pay for the financially inept that have done nothing for themselves to have an equally comfortable retirement free of financial worry, all paid for from my taxes.

Well I'n not happy to support them without at least having the same benefits as a right!

carver 09:48 05 Jan 2013

spider9 tax credits are completely different to the topic that is being discussed on this posting tax credits and are paid to people who are working on low pay with children, not pensioners unless you happen to be enter link description here this man.

And if you do not need it then donate it to one of the many charities that is only too willing to take it from you enter link description here just one of many

Grey Goo 11:06 05 Jan 2013

I really hate the self appointed spokes people who trot out meaningless drivel to seem self important. The state pension in the UK is probably the worst in the EU.The fuel allowance was supposed to try and compensate for this (Whoopee). In a few years time so we are led to believe the grandiose New Pension may arrive which will mean that qualifying pensioners will receive a much higher pension for less qualifying years. Present pensioners can lump it at whatever the rate is at the time. So for anyone that is dictating to me that I don't need the Winter fuel allowance then I stick the one fingered salute to them.

carver 11:11 05 Jan 2013

fourm member "I really can't tell you how many pensioners holiday in Mauritius as I'm sure you know" so why use it as an example when as you keep saying you only use cold hard facts. " "Pensioners are, in general, substantially better off today and we need to stop portraying all pensioners as poor in order to focus attention on those in our society who are, genuinely, in difficulties."

Brilliant statement, so will you be giving up your fuel allowance and giving it to a charity.

But don't forget that there are many more poor pensioners than better off ones.

lotvic 13:01 05 Jan 2013

Basic pension is a maximum of £107.45 a week for a single person who has worked and paid NI for 30 years.

The Government pays means-tested Pension Credit. This guarantees a minimum of £142.70 a week for a single pensioner and £217.90 for a couple

So an annual dual fuel bill of £1400 equals £26.92p per week, which is approx 18.5% of income for a single pensioner and 12% of income for a couple.

(and no, I haven't copied and pasted the above, but I did look up the figures for the Pension amounts and the average fuel bill)

Forum Editor 13:13 05 Jan 2013

I wonder how many pensioners refuse to accept the winter fuel payment.

lotvic 13:58 05 Jan 2013

fourm member, Errr, no, - my figure of 18.5% of income spent on Fuel bill for a single pensioner who has worked and paid NI and has a state pension plus means-tested Pension Credit or is only on Pension Credit is correct.

If you haven't paid or been credited with NI you don't qualify for a state pension. But you do qualify for Pension Credit of £142.70

So whether you've worked and paid NI or never worked you still get a basic total £142.70p

When you say "On average state pension makes up only 38% of total income (down from 53% in 1977)"

Do those figures include or separately list those who are not on a State Pension and are only on Pension Credit?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?