Windows Vista vs Windows Mojave

Managing ed 15:02 29 Jul 2008

In a fit of hubristic PR, Microsoft reckons that it's proved that the 'problem' with Windows Vista is all down to perception. Of course, that self-same 'perception' is largely down to Microsoft's determination to get every man and his dog (of a PC) to migrate to Vista, but the company got loads of XP-using Vista haters to watch a video 'Mojave' - its brand new operating system. Of course, Mojave was, in fact, vista.

Full story: click here

I'm not sure what to think of this. On the one hand, it is true that there's a bandwagon of Vista hating that even those who've never used it are happy to jump on. But on the other hand, this does seem like a particularly facile and, well, spiteful way to prove a point. And watching a video is no way to judge an OS.

What do you think?

al7478 15:33 29 Jul 2008

that website is really annoying. either the vids arent working or theyre going v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w.l.y.

Anyway, im not a vista hater - i really wanted it to begin with. but then i realised that was nothing more than an irrational will to be up to date, at unnecassary expence.

simple fact is, no-one has convinced me, using language i understand, that vista really is better for my needs than xp. beautiful to look at nd smooth to use? oh, im sure it is. but they arent real reasons to get it when i could spend the money on things that are worth more to me.

micrososft have been making themselves look silly for a while tho - letting all that talk about Vienna get out, then stamping on it. And promising its arrival surprisingly quickly.

i to the casual observer, rather than someone with more industry savvy, this just looks like they have little faith in vista, feel it isnt what they wanted it to be, and hints that history will show it to be a stop-gap before the main event.

many will disagree, and this is all just in my humble, casual observers opinion (but thats what most people are - in fact, some arent even that).

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:00 29 Jul 2008

it's a step in the right direction that MS are finally acknowledging there is a problem with Vista.

JYPX 20:05 29 Jul 2008

They (Microsoft)are wasting their time. Perception?
That might have been the case 12 months ago when they could could get away with claiming, "it's all about drivers, or it's all about software - it's gonna be just fine". Millions of pc owners, company IT managers, technology journalists, all over the world have given Vista a try - having waited for the software, the drivers, the service pack, and they still think that Microsoft have misjudged what is required from an operating system.
It is now blindingly obvious what they need to do - make sure that the next OS is an attractive proposition for all Windows users, and to achieve that they need to listen, listen and listen.
The comment made here by al7478 rings true with me - I think most people wanted to like Vista and the the common sentiment is not hate, it is disappointment. They are not in trouble yet, but they have to get the message, and quickly.

Pineman100 14:36 02 Aug 2008

I'm a Vista hater, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I'm absolutely fed up with the game of leapfrog that goes on between software and hardware manufacturers. Intel build a faster processor, so Microsoft make their OS fatter and heavier, negating all the benefits that the faster processor brought. Then the whole cycle starts all over again.

My computer is six years old. It runs XP Home with its hands tied behind its back - trouble-free and hassle-free.

If I "upgraded" (a highly questionable term) to Vista, this computer would grind to a halt. So I'd need a new machine - and for what benefit? A slightly prettier interface and a slightly faster search function?

If Microsoft really want to impress me, and seduce me into buying a new OS, then they'll make Windows 7 slimmer, lighter and more capable than Vista.

And I'm not talking about perception - I'm talking about real life.

Woolwell 14:58 02 Aug 2008

I cannot get that mojave experiment website to do anything except show the words and a flask very, very slowly filling. Perhaps I am not patient enough. I hope the next OS isn't as slow.

I moved to Vista about 6 weeks ago having expressed that I wasn't going to move away from XP but my new PC came with Vista. I like Vista and its interface and it ran well but so it should on a system with 4 Gb of RAM and a decent processor.
Nearly all of my hardware ran ok with downloads of new drivers, etc. My HTC Touch Dual is a bit hit and miss with sync (no problem with XP). I have had 2 program snags, one with Mediaface and the other with Serif MoviePlus. MoviePlus needed a patch to run but it doesn't recognise my DVD writer/drive because it cannot pick up the drivers. This is a pain. Serif will not update until the next product. This isn't really MS's fault but I wish Vista was a bit more backwards compatible. But then I remember that I had to get a new scanner when XP came out.

Woolwell 15:05 02 Aug 2008

I wasn't patient enough - the mojave experiment site took over 5 minutes to get past the opening flask scene. For the rest I constantly had to wait for buffering. I have abandoned the viewing.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:19 02 Aug 2008

After 6 minutes and 1.1MB with no sign of getting anywhere near moving on from the flask I gave up.

Since my partner got her new laptop, a couple of months ago, I have been thinking of upgrading to Vista when I next upgrade the cpu and motherboard on this pc. Fortunately Vista works better than the Mojave Experiment website.

crosstrainer 15:41 02 Aug 2008

Have acknowledged that "Many users suffered problems in the initial stages of Vista roll-out"

And how....Missing device drivers, incompatible hardware and software issues et al.

Personally, I like Vista, although I keep XP pro on another machine, and MCE on my laptop. A lot of people are going to wait for "Windows 7" but I also have quite a few clients who have upgraded networks to Vista.

The error on Microsoft's part was not preparing users adequately for what would happen when upgrading. Had they published a better hardware compatibility list, and made their clients aware of the fact that the printer, scanner, network hub, modem etc. would not work with Vista at once (or in some cases as we have all discovered) ever, then users would have been better informed as to what new kit they would require in order to make the move.

The minimum spec. was frankly laughable (although many people were not laughing at all)

Of course, had the "Real" facts been made public, Vista would not have sold in the quantity that it has.

It is to be hoped that the same issues are NOT repeated with Windows 7, and that Microsoft minus "Good old Bill" will have the common sense to better prepare us all for the new system when it arrives.

Forum Editor 17:09 02 Aug 2008

I haven't had a single problem.

The reason, of course, is that all my computers exceed the recommended system requirements, almost all of my software is recent edition, and I beta tested Vista for a year before it launched - I had it easy.

I like Vista, and I liked Windows XP when that first came on the scene, even when lots of people were saying they would upgrade (from Windows 98) over their dead bodies. I would hazard a guess that most of those people were using XP within a year of launch.

I'm not typical - I work with computers for a living, and I am a big Microsoft fan - there, I've admitted it. I've never understood the fashion for slagging off a company because it's big and successful, although I'm the first to admit that at times the Redmond giant is its own worst enemy. That comes about because there are people in the company who believe they can d nothing wrong, that consumers hould only be told what is considered good for them, and that there's something shameful in admitting 'we dropped a clanger'.

The company dropped a clanger when Vista first launched by being too slow to acknowledge that there were plenty of people who were having very real problems. The truth about life is that it's no good being right all the time unless enough people accept it - you need to carry the body of the kirk with you. It's all about perceptions, and a perception developed that Vsta was fatally flawed in some way. Once that happens it's no good claiming that it's someone else's fault - a lack of third-party drivers is the excuse of choice - you must recognise the problem and address it, even if it's not your fault.

Millions of people are using Vista quite happily, but those aren't the people who influence the potential upgraders - they listen to the minority (and it is a minority, even if it's a sizeable one) who have exerienced problems. We see people in the forum asking for help with downgrading a new computer from Vista to Windows XP. That's not because their new machine doesn't work with Vista - it was designed to do so - it's either because people are worried about Vista, and are not prepared to give it a chance, or because they've discovered that their favourite freeware application version 1.0 won't work - it's a compatibility thing.

That problem - compatibility - isn't going to be solved by waiting for the next version of Windows, so what next - stay with Windows XP forever, or at some point face the fact that software ages? The fact is that unless the developers are prepared to produce new versions there comes a time when you move on.

Managing ed's assessment of the Mojave experiment as being facile is right on the money, the trick they played is a reinforcement - if any was needed - that Microsoft has much to learn when it comes to handling a marketing problem. Pull cheap stunts like this on your potential customers and you will reap a terrible harvest. You're insulting their intelligence, and your clever little trick will come back and bite you on the bum.

al7478 17:32 02 Aug 2008

Well that last paragraph is certainly true.

Fault does matter to some extent tho - to me anyway. i used to defend microsoft on the basis that third parties have just decided not to make drivers, so it isnt microsofts fault.

but then, there was somethig in the forums a few weeks back about microsoft not revealing its source code to these third parties, thus making it harder for them to make drivers.

But then someone commented that its perfectly standard for source codes to be confidential, as they constitute intellectual copyright.

sorry to go off at a tangent, but this matters to me for some reason, and im confused.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?