Hot Topics

Will You be Watching the Wedding or the Cup Final?

oresome 20:15 15 Dec 2017

Saturday May 19th is the date for the royal wedding and a major sporting event.

It may be the cause of friction in some households as to which TV channel is viewed.

Personally I have little interest in either but wish the couple well and may the best team win.

Forum Editor 22:53 16 Dec 2017

It will be interesting to see how many of those of you who have made derogatory posts about the wedding, and how you will not be watching it, make comments about the TV coverage on the day.

Let's wait and see.

I shall certainly watch it.

john bunyan 08:55 17 Dec 2017

I shall watch it. Harry is one of the more likeable royals. A couple of points: why was Charles not allowed to marry his divorcee in church whereas Harry is? If Harry wears an Army uniform then (with one or two exceptions) beards are not permitted, so either he is a civilian and dresses accordingly or he has an honorary rank , wears uniform and conforms to the rules.

Good luck to them , they are a bit more down to earth than some of their extended family.

Forum Editor 10:07 17 Dec 2017

Flak999

"Question has to be, why would you want to watch such mindless drivel??"

The arrogance behind that question is rather sad - and indicative of the fact that, although you profess to be a patriot you aren't really one at all.

I'll watch the wedding because I am a supporter of the monarchy; I believe that - despite all its ups and downs - it is an asset to our country. Our monarchy is admired the world over, and I think that Harry is genuinely trying to de-mystify the institution.

Every time I see one of your revealing statements, I'm so glad that I don't inhabit your strange world.

HondaMan 12:09 17 Dec 2017

Neither. Both will be incredibly boring.

caccy 14:26 17 Dec 2017

Ditto HondaMan

x123 15:51 17 Dec 2017

There is talk in our little community, by the ladies, that a party will be held at the village hall, inside if wet, outside if dry, to watch the wedding and have a bit of food. Barbacue and beer for the chaps and sparkley wine and sandwiches for the girls. Cakes, crisps and ice cream for the kids.

Maybe a dance,later.

bumpkin 15:58 17 Dec 2017

Flak, it is not for me either but I do not consider it mindless drivel. Millions of others enjoy watching such events. You seem to have very little tolerance of anybody that does not share your views.

Forum Editor 16:37 17 Dec 2017

Flak999

"The're not special, the're just people like you and I who happen to have found the goose that lays the golden eggs, the sooner we become a republic the better!"

Harry didn't 'find' anything - he happened to have been born into the Royal family. You happen not to have been, but if you had I doubt that you would feel that you were a "glad-handing parasitic leech", you would simply be who you are.

The royals didn't choose to be what they are.

"...the sooner we become a republic the better!"

Like a lot of would-be republicans, you think that the grass would be greener on that side of the fence, but of course that isn't the case. Just take a look around the world, and name a Republic in which you would happily live.

Forum Editor 17:04 17 Dec 2017

Flak999

And the Republic in which you would be so much happier living because it's a paradise compared to our awful monarchy - which one have you picked?

I won't hold my breath for an answer - I know your arguments too well. Lots of dramatic waffle, but no real substance.

john bunyan 17:26 17 Dec 2017

Flak999

I asked a fellow republican of yours who they would nominate as President if there were an election soon. As expected I got no answer. Do you have a candidate? If not , your argument is even weaker than it appears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

LG gram 14 (2020) review

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

'Price rise' for iPhone 12 despite lack of accessories

Les meilleurs smartphones Xiaomi (2020)