Hot Topics

Will Northern Ireland return to the bad old days?

Cymro. 11:47 01 Oct 2019

BBC link

I listened to the P.M. on the Today program this morning and am far from assured that enough thought has been put in to if peace will be maintained in Northern Ireland. Whatever your thoughts on BREXIT is it worth the risk of Northern Ireland returning to the days of the 1970s.?

Quickbeam 07:08 04 Oct 2019

Reverse scaremongering...

john bunyan 08:46 04 Oct 2019

At the referendum, NI voted 55.8% to remain, so the DUP do not represent the overall NI opinion. They , due to the fact that Sinn Fein do not attend Westminster, have a disproportionate influence on the Government. We are a long way from settling this issue

morddwyd 09:18 05 Oct 2019

Once we leave Ireland will be united, peacefully, within twenty years.

Dunk 11:37 05 Oct 2019

morddwyd

Amen to that. Some good will possibly come out of this Brexit debacle, after all.

john bunyan 15:17 05 Oct 2019

What does “leaving Ireland “ mean?

NI is part of the U.K. ( maybe unfortunately) and the extreme Unionists show little sign of wanting to join Eire. Neither, due to the cost do Eire really want it but won’t admit it. I hope peace will prevail but am not a so sure

john bunyan 15:22 05 Oct 2019

PS The NI assembly hasn’t met for over 2 1/2 years , surely this indicates how difficult it all is

morddwyd 18:57 05 Oct 2019

Sorry, John. Forgot the comma after "leave", which changes the whole construction!

Quickbeam 19:42 05 Oct 2019

I won't hold my breath on that one. Unification might be what the IRA want, but I'm sure that Unionist terrorists will replace them!

Nobody's solved the 'Irish problem' in centuries, Blair has got a peace for 20 years that's keeping the republican terrorists under control, Boris is likely to unleash them again.

They haven't gone anywhere, they're all still there.

Dunk 21:04 05 Oct 2019

I think we are getting to the situation that only the Irish can solve this intractable problem, and the first step should be an all-Ireland vote on uniting the two sides.

If they say no, then we are no worse off.

England should not be making any decisions - it's none of our business.

wee eddie 21:36 05 Oct 2019

Dunk: If they say "No", then you just have another one. or, that's how the Remoaners have it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Pro review

How to paint a portrait study

What you need to work from home on a Mac

Comment télétravailler efficacement sur son ordinateur depuis son jardin ou sa terrasse ?