why use the dollar sign on Microsoft?

[DELETED] 18:13 13 Jan 2006

M$

Is it a mockery of the company because it's made huge profits? So why mock a company if it's a success?

It's a daft and petty idea to me but anyway, what's your views?

powerless 18:18 13 Jan 2006

Seconded.

bremner 18:41 13 Jan 2006

Totally agree

[DELETED] 18:46 13 Jan 2006

Quite!

[DELETED] 19:17 13 Jan 2006

and windoze, wimpdoze and any other variation of the same?

[DELETED] 19:22 13 Jan 2006

Its seems to be the Linux aficionado's that tend to use those acronyms, even though I use Linux I don't use them any more.

[DELETED] 20:03 13 Jan 2006

[DELETED] 20:50 13 Jan 2006

I'd never really thought about it, but I'm inclined to agree.

A bit of petty jealousy, I reckon!

[DELETED] 21:15 13 Jan 2006

I don't use it but as the company is worth billion$ why not?

I've never had any gripe about MS products (except ME) but some people do.

[DELETED] 21:46 13 Jan 2006

That's an interesting comment "A bit of petty jealousy, I reckon!" Why would that equate to using words like M$, windoze and wimpdoze? I'm not sure what they have to be jealous of, considering most users of Linux dual boot with one of the Windows products.

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you, but I have seen that comment before and would be interested to know the reason why you think they are jealous?

It might have some bearing on why those words are used.

[DELETED] 22:40 13 Jan 2006

By "they" do you mean Linux users?

Because I wasn't referring to them - and I was one of them for a while.

I'm referring to the general feeling of resentment that some people - not forum member specifically, just a general minority - seem to harbour for Microsoft's, and in particular Bill Gates', huge success and market dominance.

As I'm sure you can tell from the tone of my posts, I don't feel this way. But some people do tend to and I interpret the use of the dollar sign as a slightly jealous nod to Gates' wealth.

At £150 or so for a full copy of XP Home, I see it as good value product - I've sometimes had to pay more than that for individual applications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)