Why does Araldite (epoxy resin)

Quickbeam 16:24 05 Feb 2019

...take so long to go hard now?

It used to go hard within 10 minutes at room temperature, 12 hours for a full curing.

The last few time I've mixed it, 50/50, it remains tacky for a few hours. At the mo I've got 2 plastic parts held under tension with tie wraps. I used to just have to hold it for a few minutes.

This is not just a one of pair of tubes that might be wrong, for the last 3 years I've noticed that it now takes 24 hours to cure.

Quickbeam 16:25 05 Feb 2019

Well it's more thought provoking than Clapton is God's post...

Clapton is God 16:30 05 Feb 2019

That's because it's an epoxy resin and not an epoxy star.

Quickbeam 16:33 05 Feb 2019

lol!

Quickbeam 16:36 05 Feb 2019

Still tacky after 4 hours...

Aitchbee 17:34 05 Feb 2019

I would suspect it has been watered down to reduce costs ... another example of shrinkflation.

BT 17:37 05 Feb 2019

There are 2 types of Araldite Standard and Rapid

Rapid supposedly sets in 5 mins

Araldite Rapid

HondaMan 17:39 05 Feb 2019

You'll probably find that 'elf'n'safety is involved somewhere. Too much "stick" not enough "cure" because they're probably bad for us

wee eddie 17:46 05 Feb 2019

The original Araldite, when mixed correctly, always took 24 hours to cure. But, give it its due, it was the most successful in its class.

phlinx 18:15 05 Feb 2019

I've noticed that as well. The cheap brands are even worse than Araldite. Chemical Metal is still as good as ever, but that's more of a filler/adhesive.

Pine Man 18:36 05 Feb 2019

Poundlands version is rock hard in about 10 minutes and it's pretty cheap.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Anthem review-in-progress

Illustrator and children's author Owen Davey on maintaining success with his animal and art mastery

WWDC 2019: Dates, what to expect, and how to get tickets

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans