Why Buy Extended Warranty?

ened 13:16 25 Oct 2004

Apart from a few unscrupulous Guest house owners I know, who buy a washing machine for their business use and KNOW they will need repairs within 3 years, why would anybody want to fork out good money for one of these?
I was going to buy an ansafone from Comet which was in the region of twenty quid. I got the hard sell for the extended warranty which would have cost an EXTRA £30!!
There are so many threads where people have had problems I would be interested to know if anybody has ever felt they got their money's worth.

spuds 15:32 25 Oct 2004

Extended warranties can be obtained via various means, and all need carefull consideration if you intend going that way.

Personal experiences have given me different oppinions, and these are my thoughts.[1] Manufacturers and independent insurers could offer the better buy , than those on offer via the retailer. So check on these avenues first.[2] Some credit card companies offer second year extended warranties for free on certain items. Barclaycard have this scheme.[3] Be very investigative of these 'Peace of Mind'extended cover warranties. Make sure that you know what is 'Peace of Mind'.Your mind or the sellers mind, I speak from personal experience that these warranties can be a real disaster at times of need.

Generally though, most products will go wrong in the first twelve months. And I have found this to be true in most cases.

ened 16:42 25 Oct 2004

I am a firm believer that, as spuds says,most electrical items will go wrong early if they are going to. In addition the standard is extremely high these days.
But to return to my question: is anybody out there who is prepared to say they are pleased with their warranty? Or anybody who, when trying to use one,did not end up frustrated?

oresome 20:40 25 Oct 2004

Items of a mechanical nature are always more likely to break down. I'm thinking washing machines and video recorders. Of course this fact is reflected in the cost of the warranty.

Depends to some extent on how capable you are and how serious loss of use of the equipment is and your view of the risk.

Wouldn't like to be without the washing machine or central heating for long, although I don't have cover on either.

I repaired one of our fairly new (18months old)VCR's this week by removing carpet fluff from one of the tape sensors.

I've replaced a fuse in the TV after 6 years. (It was covered for 5 years for free)

Both simple jobs that would have cost a considerable amount if I had to call someone out and probably not worth it for the VCR.

v1asco 09:36 26 Oct 2004

Frdge/freezer, cooker,tumble dryer,dishwasher & washing machine all covered under Gas Board extended warranty.

So Far:-
Washing Machine Condemned - got replacement for 20% less than Comets usual price. ( a good deal)

Fridge/Freezer Got fan replaced even though previous repairers assured me it was not available.

Cooker- various bits fixed (clock, handle)

Dishwasher - several visits for bits falling off.

Argos - Hedge trimmers replaced.

I did not take out onre for my Sony TV. The tube blew after 2 years and Sony replaced free of charge. Always had excellent service from them.

Boiler - again insured with Gas Board. They usually get at least one call out every year (not including service)

Why do I take these out? Well :-

Useless mechanically.

Away from home a lot (8 months of the year) and its peace of mind for Wife.

and

We just have one of those houses where everything works well for 1 year and a day. After that we are on borrowed time.

On the whole as far as white goods are concerned I do not consider the warranties a waste of money, however I refrain from any warranties offered by DSG, unless it is a really good package.

Hope this helps your queries.

Bugle

spuds 11:22 26 Oct 2004

I too purchased one of those Comet 5 year no claim return fee warranties, but what a performance.Followed the instruction to the letter, sent the claims form to the address given via Royal Mail registered post for next day guaranteed timed delivery. Two days later and no information of delivery on the RM tracking system, so thinking the worst [media reports of other companies offering similar refunds had ceased trading,due to many claims requests]I contacted the Royal Mail who informed me that the address given was no longer available and they had re-directed the letter. The Royal Mail refused to give me the forwarding address due to the 'Data Protection Act'[what utter rubbish].

The final outcome,was that I contacted Comet [Kingfisher Group]who promised to refund the full warranty fee,if I did not receive a response from the insurance warranty company.All ended well,as I received the full warranty refund about a week or so later.Nice little bonus that was.The washing machine still worked for a few more years before it developed a fault,and was pensioned off.

oresome 17:49 28 Oct 2004

The extended warranty providers will no doubt have figures that show that a large percentage of products require some support.

Those that don't take out extended warranties will find that their purchases are much more reliable.

I don't dispute the warranty providers figures. I just think that when someone has paid for a service, they are much more likely to call upon it, rather than do a few basic checks themselves.

oresome 17:32 29 Oct 2004

It's Me,

No, not suggesting for one moment that you personally make unwarranted claims. If you're unlucky, the warranty proves to be excellent value for money.

I'm not even suggesting that anyone makes unwarranted claims. Just that they are more likely to call upon a service that they have paid for. If you've to fork out £80 for a call out, you will naturally do a few checks first.

I'm afraid as things become more complex, so the likleyhood of mis-diagnosis becomes greater. If your car has required 3 CPU's, either the manufacturing quality is suspect or the repairers are not getting to the bottom of what is actually at fault, or you're exceedingly unlucky.

But as you say, you're in the hands of the experts and can hardly argue.

ened 17:49 30 Oct 2004

Actually, although it is away from the subject of computers, condemning the CPU on a car is the oldest trick in the book and a quick way of earning a few hundred quid. Ask anyone in the motoer trade. Half the time they don't even replace them, and I am talking about 'reputable' dealers as well.

Simsy 10:31 02 Jan 2005

whoo deal in HI-FI are very good;

If you haven't made use of the extended warranty at the end of the period they refund the cost of it.

I really don't think you can say fairer than that.

And they give the refund no quibble... I know because I've received it.

Their customer service is always very good.

Regards,

Simsy

TOPCAT® 22:52 02 Jan 2005

the government have done something about excessive charges etc for these extended warranties. It was supposed to be released last November but has been delayed until around March I think.

From what I gather, some retailers have already adopted the terms of the new regulations, whilst the rest will be forced to do so when they emerge.

Perhaps someone knows more about this, but eitherway, it would be good to see just how it affects the retailers and the consumer. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9