Hot Topics

Who will you blame for a no-deal Brexit?

Quickbeam 17:47 23 Jul 2018

Hunt seems convinced that we'll all blame the EU.

Personally I'll lay the blame at the feet of weak government and wobbly opposition...

I think that there would be no doubt that in that scenario, the present government would certainly be the fall guy at the next election.

roger.roger 15:42 28 Jul 2018

Who will you blame for a no-deal Brexit?

Those who voted to leave?

Isn't that what they wanted. To get out of Europe, totally?

LastChip 17:54 28 Jul 2018

"but do blame the Jingoistic few like IDS, Redwood, Rees Mogg etc who relish a hard Brexit.. I am sorry for Mrs May, who is doing her best in spite of these disloyal people"

The fact that the people you've mentioned have a different view to the governments position, does not make them disloyal. It simply says they don't agree with the present trend and in a democracy, they are perfectly entitled to their views. There's plenty more, both within the Commons and the people who would agree with them - me included.

At the risk of repeating myself, the EU has no intention of a meaningful negotiation under Barnier. He's said no to just about everything and the time has come for us to stand up and be counted. Either they come to their senses and compromise, or we walk. Otherwise the referendum vote (and democracy), means nothing and will totally destroy what little remaining faith there is in politicians.

Quickbeam 18:10 28 Jul 2018

Micheal Foot was in opposition when we had a strong and stable alternative in government so was never in contention for anything other than a bad taste in cashmere overcoats!

geoff96 11:19 30 Jul 2018

The Independent newspaper are running a campaign called " final say " in which the electorate would have the option to go with the governments deal for brexit or reject it. So far over 370,000 have signed up.

I have not but thought it worthwhile bringing it up.

Quickbeam 12:47 30 Jul 2018

The guardian is biased that way.

More interestingly, is that the Telegraph and Times are now taking this view.

Quickbeam 13:15 30 Jul 2018

The guardian is biased that way.

More interestingly, is that the Telegraph and Times are now taking this view.

Forum Editor 13:50 30 Jul 2018

"....the electorate would have the option to go with the governments deal for brexit or reject it."

All pretty pointless really - the press treating it as if it's the X Factor. What does The Guardian (or the Telegraph or Times) think will be gained by conducting what is in effect an opinion poll of their readerships? It wouldn't be representative of society as a whole by a very long chalk.

The Daily Mail, The Sun, and The Mirror probably have a greater combined readership than all the other papers put together - excepting The Metro, which has the biggest print readership (10 million) of any newspaper.

oresome 20:06 30 Jul 2018

Perhaps the original question could be turned on it's head.

Who should we thank for getting us out of the EU?

Let's have some positive replies highlighting the opportunities available.

Aitchbee 21:27 30 Jul 2018

Oresome, a sleeping giant, AKA the common people, made it happen.

wee eddie 23:27 30 Jul 2018

If, when the Midnight Hour comes on the 29th March 2019, the British Parliament has not ratified, whatever agreement the current Government has negotiated.

Then, we leave without a deal.

That's the deal

Now, in such negotiations, it has been known for the "Clock to be Stopped" for a little haggling, but I would not rely on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?