Hot Topics

Who will you blame for a no-deal Brexit?

Quickbeam 17:47 23 Jul 2018

Hunt seems convinced that we'll all blame the EU.

Personally I'll lay the blame at the feet of weak government and wobbly opposition...

I think that there would be no doubt that in that scenario, the present government would certainly be the fall guy at the next election.

wee eddie 23:29 24 Jul 2018

Well said FE

Govan1x 23:50 24 Jul 2018

Well we cant blame the labour Party. The Lib Dems or Ukip.

Wonder who we can blame then.

Quickbeam 06:56 25 Jul 2018

Don't forget that the initial question of this thread is a cynical reference the now sidelined Brexit secretary that was getting the governments defence stance in place in readiness for what might be a post Brexit blame campaign in the run up to the election due shortly after Brexit.

A no deal Brexit will scupper the Tories plan to win that election on the back of expected good or at least not disastrous post Brexit economic prospects. A no deal Brexit is likely to see a Tory wipeout at the next polls and possibly see them relegated to below the top two in Parliament.

It's this current government that is preparing for an expected blame agenda.

Pine Man 08:17 25 Jul 2018

I don't think I can remember reading such a ridiculous rationale in my life

Unfortunately just the sort of comment that is becoming more prevalent.

Forum Editor 19:23 25 Jul 2018

"Unfortunately just the sort of comment that is becoming more prevalent."

I couldn't agree more. If only some people could accept reality when it stares them in the face, it wouldn't be necessary to make such comments.

Unfortunately, the urge that some people feel to look for someone to blame every time something happens that they don't like is becoming more prevalent.

It's a symptom of the 'snowflake' society we seem to have developed, where everyone wants everything bad to be someone else's fault, and nobody wants to take the teeniest risk, or accept any responsibility for anything. The government is expected to provide everything for everyone on a plate and protect everyone from any kind of hardship or be exposed to sweeping criticisms.

Unless we start to understand that we need to become optimists, rather than spending our lives being introspective and negative, I despair for our future as a nation.

LastChip 21:17 25 Jul 2018

Well said FE.

bumpkin 21:52 25 Jul 2018

FE, 100% agree with your last post, spot on.

Pine Man 08:12 26 Jul 2018

I despair for our future as a nation.

Me too.

Govan1x 13:42 26 Jul 2018

Would it not be great if everyone agreed with everyone else then we would probably not need to post so much.

Everyone has different views so should we all think that the ones that shouts the loudest knows best.

It would be a waste of time having discussions.

Just to make it clear I am or was a labour party voter and I voted out. I also know that if the labour party won a snap election it would be farcical what changes they would make.

I still think the Tory party is a shambles but would vote for them to get us through Brexit and that is what matters just now. We may not like the finished result but may have to put up with it.

Can you imagine the Chaos the country would be in if labour got in.

I despair for our future as a nation. Yes me to.

john bunyan 07:52 27 Jul 2018

Barnier rejects soft Brexit plan.

Barnier

The four freedoms, including free movement of people, seem to be a block to anything other than, in effect, staying in, so a hard Brexit seems more likely. Chaos reigns

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?