Hot Topics

Who will you blame for a no-deal Brexit?

Quickbeam 17:47 23 Jul 2018

Hunt seems convinced that we'll all blame the EU.

Personally I'll lay the blame at the feet of weak government and wobbly opposition...

I think that there would be no doubt that in that scenario, the present government would certainly be the fall guy at the next election.

Pine Man 15:19 03 Dec 2018

I have zero faith in any of his predictions about the future of our economy. ......but if he had predicted that the future of our economy would be much stronger after we had left the Europe the leavers would have thought he was the best thing since sliced bread and that, if he said we were going to be ok, it must be true.

Forum Editor 16:32 03 Dec 2018

Pine Man

"but if he had predicted that the future of our economy would be much stronger after we had left the Europe the leavers would have thought he was the best thing since sliced bread and that, if he said we were going to be ok, it must be true."

But he didn't say that. I'm sorry, but I don't see what point you're trying to make.

Quickbeam 18:46 03 Dec 2018

The same point as me I reckon!

How many times have you come out with the 'we don't know what will happen, it's never been done before' line FE?

He has to say something, saying nothing would be irresponsible, but as I've said somewhere or another this weekend, we know where we are within the EU, but nobody is seriously saying that there won't be some kind of economic harm outwith it, but somewhere between 'some harm' and 'utter disaster' will certainly be true...

Pine Man 18:53 03 Dec 2018

What I was trying to get across, in, possibly, a somewhat convoluted way, is that it always seems to appear that if an 'expert' supports a persons view on Brexit he's correct but if he has a contrary view his argument isn't considered valid.

This criticism isn't attributed to anybody specifically but was prompted by your views on Mark Carney.

Pine Man 18:56 03 Dec 2018

The same point as me I reckon!

Thanks for the support QB I was starting to wonder if it was just me.

Quickbeam 19:02 03 Dec 2018

Contrary to the PM, we are still not united over the big B!

john bunyan 18:34 04 Dec 2018

Whether or not you believe Carney , the market is the best indicator. Today the £ is at a one year low, the Government had 3 defeats in the House of Commons on publishing legal advice.

pound at low Chaos reigns . HB - what are the odds on a 2nd Referendum, a “No Deal” Brexit, this Deal going through and a General Election in next month or two?

Quickbeam 18:55 04 Dec 2018

JB

You forgot to mention the 'No Brexit' option that has passed the PM's lips a few times of late and this morning was confirmed as being a unilaterally playable hand...

Only last month I thought we were headed for a dead cert crash out Brexit, now all bets are off on all the possible options.

Quickbeam 19:00 04 Dec 2018

A commentator on the radio today suggested that if the PM thought that the un-meaningful vote was going to be badly lost, she would withdraw it beforehand.

For a nation that two years ago was only very mildly interested in the inner workings of government, we've all had quite a convincing crash course in our parliamentary procedures!

Aitchbee 19:20 04 Dec 2018

jb, latest betting is as follows.

A SECOND IN/OUT EU REFERENDUM TO TAKE PLACE BEFORE END 2019 - NO 4/7. YES 5/4.

HOUSE OF COMMONS TO VOTE THROUGH WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT IN 2018 - NO 1/7. YES 4/1.

YEAR OF NEXT UK GENERAL ELECTION? - 2019 5/4. 2022 7/4. 2020 4/1. 2021 7/1.

The Odds on a "No Deal" Brexit are unavailable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Why you can't get the Windows 10 May update yet

Inspiring Creative Projects in response to Pandemic & Protest

Logic Pro X 10.5 review

Déconfinement : tout savoir sur l’application StopCovid