Hot Topics

Who will you blame for a no-deal Brexit?

Quickbeam 17:47 23 Jul 2018

Hunt seems convinced that we'll all blame the EU.

Personally I'll lay the blame at the feet of weak government and wobbly opposition...

I think that there would be no doubt that in that scenario, the present government would certainly be the fall guy at the next election.

LastChip 10:58 01 Dec 2018

john bunyan

"What about the NI border?"

A valid concern, but one MP asked in one of the PM's questions, "who would build it"? and no one could say. The UK have committed to no hard boarder and the Republic of Ireland have said the same. So who is going to build it; it remains a mystery.

"A queue of lorries will clog the M 20 as even a short customs stop would be huge."

Again, you're speculating what might happen, One MP said recently we might choose to simply wave stuff through until a sensible solution can be found.

"Most of the £39 billion is legally due...."

There is some legal argument over that. Some legal argument I have read says, the EU is a rules based organisation and there are no rules covering fees to leave, therefore, nothing is due.

"Recent figures show that even on non EU immigration we have failed to control numbers over many years..."

I agree, immigration has not been controlled at all.

"The Bank of England Governor is surely a credible witness for the possible chaos? "

I don't agree. He's consistently got things wrong so there's no reason to believe his crystal ball is any better than all the other pundits guessing the future.

The Arctic does indeed seem pretty appealing right now :-)

john bunyan 12:04 01 Dec 2018

LastChip

Even if we waved through lorries outbound the French would check them at Calais so major disruption would ensue. Our car manufacturers, who depend on just in time delivery and despatch of parts would, in time not invest here, indeed the Japanese and German owners would build elsewhere, as would Ford.

I am sure we would get on well in a nice igloo; as long as a friendly Eskimo group helped with a bit of fishing through the ice. I wonder how it will look here in April? Maybe a red banner will fly over the Palace ( People’s Palace) and NI will be told by Mc Donnell to join Eire, so no border worry.

rickf 15:08 01 Dec 2018

The way things are going there'll be no Brexit.

Quickbeam 15:27 01 Dec 2018

"......and a No Deal would be a disaster."

Well nobody with any credibility is saying that things will be as stable as they are now now post Brexit, so somewhere between less economic growth and an economic disaster is certainly a certainty.

Quickbeam 15:46 01 Dec 2018

""Most of the £39 billion is legally due...."

There is some legal argument over that. Some legal argument I have read says, the EU is a rules based organisation and there are no rules covering fees to leave, therefore, nothing is due."

Whatever we think of the EU, we certainly need to carry on doing as much trade as we can with them. Not paying what was agreed previously isn't going to do our international credibility much good when we go round the world knocking on the doors of trade departments.

Why have so many of the moderate leavers over the last two years become such absolute and illogical EU haters? We can't blame them for looking after their own interests. Brexit is our conundrum, not theirs. This all goes back to Boris, who I would credit with swinging public opinion more than anyone else during the referendum campaign, leading a slim majority to believe that all we needed to do was to inform the EU what terms we were leaving on, what cherries we wanted to top our cake with, and that they should be eternally grateful with our magnanimous offer!

Govan1x 15:54 01 Dec 2018

"The Bank of England Governor is surely a credible witness for the possible chaos? "

Of course he is was it not him who said it would be a disaster for the Uk if we voted to leave 2 years ago. And sure enough the £ dropped and the FTSE went down but within a week or so they both ended up higher than they were before his comments. Bank of England how did he ever get that job. maybe he should stick to Monopoly instead.

Quickbeam 16:21 01 Dec 2018

"Bank of England how did he ever get that job."

Well I'm sure that he must be much cleverer with economics than any of us on here!

Quickbeam 16:23 01 Dec 2018

Financial crisis:

"Carney's actions as Governor of the Bank of Canada are said to have played a major role in helping Canada avoid the worst impacts of the financial crisis."

Forum Editor 09:32 03 Dec 2018

"Well I'm sure that he must be much cleverer with economics than any of us on here!"

Perhaps, but it isn't necessary to be a brilliant economist when it comes to forecasting the future. What you need - in the context of the Brexit issue - is a knowledge of human nature. It's easy to forget that economics and politics are as much about people as anything else - human nature determines the future course of history, and anyone who understands what people will do in a given set of circumstances is worth his or her weight in gold.

Mark Carney has consistently got it wrong during his time at the Bank of England. He appears to be obsessed with negativity as far as Brexit is concerned. He's the one who predicted (wrongly) in the run-up to the referendum that we would see two quarters of negative economic growth if we voted to leave. He got that wrong, and was later forced to admit as much in front of a Treasury Select Committee.

I have zero faith in any of his predictions about the future of our economy.

Quickbeam 14:38 03 Dec 2018

The trouble with forecasts is you're damned either way as would Michael Fish have been had if he forecast a strong hurricane and a light breeze had blown!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Why you can't get the Windows 10 May update yet

Inspiring Creative Projects in response to Pandemic & Protest

Logic Pro X 10.5 review

Déconfinement : tout savoir sur l’application StopCovid