Who thinks I'm wrong

Forum Editor 23:57 09 Nov 2009

to insist that we don't mention the Winter Festival word in the forum before 25th November?

My wife says I remind her of one of the angry old men on TV, and she smiles when I get tetchy if an ad with the dreaded word in it appears at the end of October.

In the interests of the due democratic process I thought I would ask your opinion - what do you think, should I shut up and allow a free-for-all in terms of threads about the holly and ivy season, or should I stick to my stubborn guns and maintain the ban?

All votes will be scrupulously scrutinised by our team of scrutinisers, and in the true tradition of referenda I promise to abide by the majority vote, as long as it goes my way.

wolfie3000 00:02 10 Nov 2009

I think it should be allowed to be talked about,
Although i hate Christmas and never celebrate it, i am a firm believer in freedom of speech so we should be allowed to talk about it.

If you had a personal hatred of any other religious festivals would you ban people from talking about them?

Snec 00:02 10 Nov 2009

I agree with you FE. Anything to make you happy, that's me.

rdave13 00:09 10 Nov 2009

I think you're absolutely correct in your decision to democratically vote that we all go your way.

Forum Editor 00:20 10 Nov 2009

I don't have a personal hatred for it, exactly the opposite in fact. It's why I don't like talking about it months in advance; I like to reserve it as a special time.

That isn't said from any religious point of view - I'm an atheist - but I believe it's an opportunity to have a time of the year which is set aside for peace and quiet, and a chance to reflect on the pleasures of family life, etc., etc. If I had my way the shops would all be closed for a few days, and everyone could let the credit card cool down.

As for freedom of speech, isn't that what this thread is all about?

wolfie3000 00:30 10 Nov 2009

Im sorry FE if i misunderstood your reasons.

cycoze 00:34 10 Nov 2009

I had a moan a couple of weeks ago about hearing Christmas songs in shops toward the end of October, some of the songs I like, but I will be fed up of hearing them long before Christmas arrives.

So, here is one Grumpy old man quite happy to have less Christmas until a week or so before the day.

Forum Editor 00:50 10 Nov 2009

I thought perhaps you had. No apology necessary.

mr simon 00:56 10 Nov 2009

I can understand not wanting to talk about it months in advance, but to set a date where it suddenly becomes acceptable to even utter the word is over doing it I think.

Would the forums be overrun with Christmas threads? I can't see it happening.

Condom 03:11 10 Nov 2009

I mentioned the dreaded word in a post 6 weeks ago and nobody noticed. Live and let live. Now where did I hide those easter eggs?

beeuuem 05:23 10 Nov 2009

I'm with FE on this one. It's bad enough with the TV adverts 'order now for ********* delivery.
As an aside my sister who, as a nun, is religious, noted that 'last week Somerfield had Coop mini Yule-logs 'best before Nov 1st' and also mince pies 'best before Nov 29'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?