Hot Topics

Who Reads "Soap Opera Weekly"?

morddwyd 09:35 19 Jan 2016

No, I'm not really interested, the question is rhetorical!

I was browsing in my newsagent the other day and I noticed the was a whole section with stuff like "Inside Soap, Soaps Today, Soap Opera Weekly" and so on.

Do people actually read, let alone pay for, such stuff?

john bunyan 16:18 20 Jan 2016

Forum Editor

(Also with apologies to mordwydd)

Yes, I had an uncle that took the Mirror . I was 9 in 1946 and started fishing then, and very much in the methodology of the book. I also had a sneaky look at the "Jane" glamour strip of the same era. I found some "hooks to gut" in an old biscuit tin I used to take on fishing trips to the Dorset Stour where I caught my first 2 lb Roach and 6 1/12 lb Chub...Thanks for the Venables story - much of what he wrote is still true and is the basis of my coarse fishing to this day. Although I have tried lake fishing for carp, I am not one of those who enjoys sitting in a tent with electric alarms for days on end - I prefer to roam the banks looking for likely spots. In winter , spinning for Pike is a favourite

morddwyd 19:19 20 Jan 2016

No apologies necessary!

It was just a light hearted bit of fun anyway.

My own angling experience is limited to spinning for mackerel while monitoring torpedo drops off Falmouth!

Forum Editor 23:34 20 Jan 2016

"My own angling experience is limited to spinning for mackerel...."

Which is great fun. I spent several happy years holidaying in the Isles of Scilly with friends when I was in my late teens. I have very happy memories of taking a boat out in the early evening, after a baking hot day, and fishing for mackerel. Get amongst a shoal of them and you can catch them with just a little piece of silver foil on the hook - they bite almost as soon as the line is in the water.

We would catch a couple of dozen and take them back to the beach, where we barbecued them and ate them with french bread and sliced tomatoes.

Very happy days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Review

Affinity offers Photo, Designer & Publisher for Free for 3 Months

New iPhone SE could launch 'as early as today'

Les meilleures offres gratuites pendant la période de confinement