Hot Topics

Who Reads "Soap Opera Weekly"?

morddwyd 09:35 19 Jan 2016

No, I'm not really interested, the question is rhetorical!

I was browsing in my newsagent the other day and I noticed the was a whole section with stuff like "Inside Soap, Soaps Today, Soap Opera Weekly" and so on.

Do people actually read, let alone pay for, such stuff?

Quickbeam 09:44 19 Jan 2016

I won't sit in the same room as a soap unless I'm tied to the chair!

john bunyan 12:25 19 Jan 2016

The only soap I follow is "The Archers"; I certainly would never buy a magazine about them! Even the Archers has less agricultural content than it used to and is increasingly, like the BBC, concerned with LBGT issues! Bring back "Journey into Space" or "Dick Barton, Special Agent"!! Anyone remember them?

BT 12:46 19 Jan 2016

Bring back "Journey into Space"

You can download all three complete series from here..

Journey into Space

dagbladet 13:39 19 Jan 2016

I doubt they stop at magazines. They probably have their own forum boards where aside of discussing the soaps they pontificate about other subjects and probably degenerate other folks interests just because they aren't interested in them.

Forum Editor 16:45 19 Jan 2016

The answer to your question is lots of people.

Some newspapers have special sections devoted to a round-up of the soap plots, and there are lots of soap-opera based forums, some of them with tens of thousands of members.

I can't say that I've never watched TV soaps - I've seen a few episodes of Coronation street and Eastenders over the years when staying with friends - but not for a very long time.

Nontek 17:27 19 Jan 2016

Dick Bartom, Special Agent ... that brings back some memories. 6.45pm every weekday evening - and then to Bed, all year round. Used to listen with an old pair of earphones which I had connected directly to the Wireless - got bit of a shock once when I tried to tighten a small nut using my teeth.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 19 Jan 2016

Two tvs in the house

soaps are banned on mine :0)

Quickbeam 06:33 20 Jan 2016

While I was perusing through the soap mag titles in my papershop, I also noticed just how many angling mags there was on the shelf.

I had no idea at all just how popular watching paint dry is at large...

Forum Editor 07:51 20 Jan 2016

Quickbeam

"I had no idea at all just how popular watching paint dry is at large..."

Angling is the most popular recreational activity in the country. Four years ago the Environment agency released figures showing that there are 6.1 million anglers in the UK.

I go fishing whenever I can get the time - it's something I've done since I was six years old when my father introduced me to a fly-fishing rod. I find it incredibly relaxing.

morddwyd 09:53 20 Jan 2016

There is also a lot of money in angling.

The late Queen Mother notwithstanding, it is predominantly a male hobby, and men ever spend as much as they can afford, or sometimes more, on their hobby, from rods and licences, through golf sets and subscriptions to radio controlled aircraft and other costly things.

A few years ago a friend of ours decided to give up a paid job and open a shop.

I expressed admiration for her courage in taking such a step in the middle of a recession.

She told she she wouldn't be affected as she was opening a fishing shop in Perthshire where such gear is regarded as essential to life itself!

She prospers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei P40 Review

Affinity offers Photo, Designer & Publisher for Free for 3 Months

New iPhone SE could launch 'as early as today'

Les meilleures offres gratuites pendant la période de confinement