Who protects the worker now?

Cymro. 11:19 12 May 2018

BBC link

With Trade Unions apparently no longer strong enough to protect their members there is only the government to see to it that fairplay is maintained in wages for working people. The present government don't seem inclined to do so and therefore it is the general working public who have to suffer lower wages. I can imagine some of your reactions to this as "the unions bought it on themselves or they were being paid too much to start with". That may well be so but who protects the worker when the government can't or won't.

Quickbeam 11:32 12 May 2018

This is why if there was an election tomorrow we'd more than likely vote in a full on left wing government. Working rights and conditions have been set back 50 years in recent times.

Pine Man 12:48 12 May 2018

if there was an election tomorrow we'd more than likely vote in a full on left wing government

I'm not sure who you are speaking for but your assertion is not supported by any of the polls who still have the Tories several points ahead.

Pablo de Catio 13:34 12 May 2018

When or if we are excluded from working in the united kingdom and are required to return to europe. There will be a skills and labour shortage here. That should increase wages and conditions for British workers.

oresome 16:01 12 May 2018

The Trade Union bosses seem well capable of protecting their own salaries, if not those of their members.

click here

Old Deuteronomy 16:03 12 May 2018

Working rights and conditions have been set back 50 years in recent times.

Indeed. I don't understand ordinary working people that vote Tory.

Quickbeam 16:44 12 May 2018

"...any of the polls who still have the Tories several points ahead."

Apart from the post vote exit polls, the polls have never been so consistently completely wrong!

bumpkin 16:47 12 May 2018

It is basic economics of supply and demand. The more workers available then the lower the pay and vice versa.

Menzie 20:00 12 May 2018

A modern company with a proper HR department can do as much if not more than a union currently for workers.

I've worked in union jobs and non-union and to be honest haven't seen a difference in pay, quality of equipment on the job, or job security.

My current job isn't a union one, there was a union job that I was interviewed for. However the pay was just above minimum wage and once Union Dues were included my take home pay was pretty much minimum.

The HR department makes sure things are fair, handles salary increases and handles any conflict, disagreement or other issues.

Quickbeam 20:26 12 May 2018

"A modern company with a proper HR department can do as much if not more than a union currently for workers."

These will be the ones that employ people on zero hours contracts that are expected to drop everything to attend work on unplanned short notice, sent home several hours earlier than expected and don't accrue any holiday pay will they...?

When I left school 46 years ago, I could easily get a loan for a car, a mortgage etc, because I had job security. I could plan holidays because I had job security. I could think about a confident financial future because I had job security.

Too many today can't commit to anything beyond a week away.

bumpkin 21:31 12 May 2018

All employees should be treated with respect and fairness in my opinion but modern society doesn't work that way unfortunately.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?