Who does an autonomous car run down?

Old Deuteronomy 16:11 05 Sep 2016

Just read another article about this, on a car magazine website, together with the responses from readers. The usual kind of scenario. The car is driving you along the road and a child runs out in front. Only options are to hit the child or mount the pavement and hit a number of adults. this was followed by the usual discussion about the greater good and the need for programming to be consistent across manufacturers and tske account of what a human driver would do.

In all such articles/discussions I have read online none have considered what seems to me to be the most likely thing that a human driver would do. In such a situation you are not going to have time to weigh up the situation and make a rational and considered decision, most people will surely just panic, slam on the brakes and freeze until stopped. Could an autonomous car be programmed to do that, or would that be morally wrong?

bumpkin 20:07 10 Sep 2016

Simple the one with an organ donor card,

Good idea, it could be programmed to say "home in on me"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 10 Sep 2016

autonomous cars are going to appeal greatly to those of us reaching the end of our driving career who might be struggling to drive due to ill health, poor eyesight etc. and also to the disabled, All of which are not going to be able to take over control in an emergency.

I'll be interested to see what the government does about licensing to "drive" one of these things

oresome 10:14 11 Sep 2016

I gave my view in a previous post that there isn't room on the roads for the predicted rise in car ownership.

To overcome this, the idea is that you summon a driverless car which takes you to your destination and the car is then utilized for other journeys by other users. Same procedure for your return trip.

Most cars are parked up for the majority of the time and this method utilizes both cars and road space much more efficiently.

No need for a driving licence, you're merely a passenger and you don't have to listen to the pearls of wisdom from the driver or provide a tip.

OTT_B 10:43 11 Sep 2016

you don't have to listen to the pearls of wisdom from the driver

That's quite a pity :)

lotvic 12:19 11 Sep 2016

It's more than quite a pity, who's going to help me load and unload the luggage/shopping/wheeled walker/wheelchair? and take the longer but quicker route to the train station avoiding the rail crossing barriers down.

oresome 13:19 11 Sep 2016

If you're really missing the driver, we could arrange some pre-recorded clips.

Name your subject as you enter and get an "expert" view or for a later version of the software, a contemporary commentary as the cameras identifies events worthy of discussion along the journey, like

"look at that idiot, typical version 3.12 issue software, never did keep to lane markings"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4