Who decides how your MP votes?

Forum Editor 13:29 13 Sep 2015

The recent rejection by parliament of the bill to allow the 'Right to Die' set me thinking about how MPs vote.

This wa a 'free vote' allowing MPs to vote according to their conscience, and they voted against the bill by a majority of 212 - a decisive majority by any standard.

Sarah Wootton, the chief executive of Dignity in Dying, said the result was an "outrage". She claims that MPs voted against the views of the majority of the public who supported the bill.

Did they - does the majority of the electorate want some terminaly ill people to be able to end their lives with medical supervision? If that's true, were MPs voting against their constituents' wishes, and if they did, does it matter - it was a free vote, after all.

Dragon_Heart 01:24 17 Sep 2015

From John Bunyan's link "3 tablets (900mg) 3-4 times daily as required" however these are not your 'standard' aspirin tablets but "are gastro-resistant to reduce the gastric side-effects of aspirin".

Dragon_Heart 01:28 17 Sep 2015

" .... does the majority of the electorate want some terminally ill people to be able to end their lives with medical supervision ? .... " with all due respect this is the wrong question to ask.

Is it not that some terminally ill people may wish to end their lives with medical supervision, until your in that position yourself how can you say ?

spuds 09:38 17 Sep 2015

"however these are not your 'standard' aspirin tablets but "are gastro-resistant to reduce the gastric side-effects of aspirin".

I find that a little confusing, because I am on daily doses of Esomeprazole in tablet form, and the choice of Peptac or Advanced Gaviscon in liquid form. These have nothing to do with Aspirin, and if you have stomach problems, then Aspirin is usually the last thing the consultants or GP's want to use, and more so if bleeding is possible.

From my own experiences, I had/have two consultant professor's, one for heart and another for stomach disease, who could not agree on the medication that I should be on. Aspirin seemed to be the most that drew attention to helping or hindering, or whether it might cause more harm than resolve problems. Eventually a truce was called between the consultant's and GP, and the discontinue of Aspirin was what they all finally decided !.

It looks like I have taken over this post, but at least I hope its all become thought provoking, as per Speakers Corner requests!.

morddwyd 09:59 17 Sep 2015

"From John Bunyan's link "3 tablets (900mg) 3-4 times daily as required" however these are not your 'standard' aspirin tablets but "are gastro-resistant to reduce the gastric side-effects of aspirin"."

3 tablets 4 times a day is far too high a dose for the elderly. Speaking personally I take the standard tablets not gastro-resistant ones.

A word of warming, while I take a very large dose, I take it under regular medical supervision and monitoring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)