Who decides how your MP votes?

Forum Editor 13:29 13 Sep 2015

The recent rejection by parliament of the bill to allow the 'Right to Die' set me thinking about how MPs vote.

This wa a 'free vote' allowing MPs to vote according to their conscience, and they voted against the bill by a majority of 212 - a decisive majority by any standard.

Sarah Wootton, the chief executive of Dignity in Dying, said the result was an "outrage". She claims that MPs voted against the views of the majority of the public who supported the bill.

Did they - does the majority of the electorate want some terminaly ill people to be able to end their lives with medical supervision? If that's true, were MPs voting against their constituents' wishes, and if they did, does it matter - it was a free vote, after all.

spuds 13:13 15 Sep 2015

"You could buy 32 in the Pharmacy in Tesco and another 2 packs of 16 with your shopping."

That's rather surprising, because I often find that at the checkout, the checkout person is usually very aware of the supply and limitation of paracetamol. Unless there is a possibility that the supply obtained from the pharmacy is bag wrapped and perhaps pre-paid?.

I am glad that you mentioned Co-Proxamol (Kapake), because I was on them as a repeat prescription, and due to a stomach problem, I was stopped using them. I had supplies of Co-Codamol 30/500ml (30ml codeine phosate/500ml paracetamol), but again these were discontinued due to the same stomach problem, the same applied to Aspirin.

BT 17:42 15 Sep 2015

Unless there is a possibility that the supply obtained from the pharmacy is bag wrapped and perhaps pre-paid?.

Goods bought at supermarket Pharmacies are always paid for at the Pharmacy and put in a bag so the checkouts are not aware that you even have it.

One other irony is that you can only buy Ibuprofen on the same terms - 2x16 packs, with your shopping. but you can buy 100 tablet packs in the Pharmacy even the 400mg double strength ones.

morddwyd 19:26 15 Sep 2015

If I were that way inclined I wouldn't have any problem, as I'm prescribed 12 x 300mg aspirin tablets a day, so I wouldn't have to save up for very long!

In fact I've got a repeat of 112 which I'm due to pick up on Thursday.

spuds 19:49 15 Sep 2015

The thread seems to have drifted slightly from MP's free vote to drug prescription and dispensing.

So while it is still on that level, I wonder how many people on repeat prescription might find that instead of using a repeat prescription for say aspirin, it might help the NHS if you find that the tablets can be obtained far more cheaply, by own payment, than letting the NHS pay for them.

The reason why I say this, was I was prescribed a daily intake of aspirin, and checking at the pharmacy, it was cheaper for me to pay direct, than cost the NHS a lot more, due to administration fees etc. The aspirin I was on at the time cost less than 1p per tablet, but via the repeat prescription and the NHS, it was far dearer.

Perhaps another free vote for our MP's on NHS cost savings, drug distribution and supply :O)

Dragon_Heart 01:56 16 Sep 2015

You'll get yourself shot spuds !

What you are saying is correct but people with heart problems have had to fight long and hard to get free prescriptions like those with diabetes.

If you feel so inclined and able you could always cross them off your prescription and buy them yourself as and when required.

john bunyan 08:37 16 Sep 2015

morddwyd

Your dose (total 3600mg in a day) seems very high. I am not medically qualified, but keep an eye on such things as I have only one kidney left. I attach a link - I am sure your Dr knows all this and please do not think I am interfering - just concerned!!

Aspirin

morddwyd 08:51 16 Sep 2015

JB

We dealt exhaustively with this some weeks ago!

DH

"If you feel so inclined and able you could always cross them off your prescription and buy them yourself as and when required."

I was also concerned about cost to the NHS and asked if I could simply have an authority to buy more than 32 at a time. I was told no, it had to be a prescription.

A pack of 32 the maximum, lasts me just four days.

spuds 09:44 16 Sep 2015

A pack of 32 the maximum, lasts me just four days.

And this is possibly one of the points that I am suggesting, Due to certain 'new' regulations, only certain perhaps 'low' quantities are being supplied, and again possibly over a month, the ordering and collection process needs repeating. All this comes with added administration cost which will certainly bump up the NHS supply bill.

What a lot of people are totally aware, is when Doctor Shipman caused all those deaths, due to his easy access to prescribed drugs, the whole system was in complete disarray, and urgent measures, were needed and actually took place rather rapidly, with extra tight security check systems put into place. This didn't just effect prescribed drugs to human's, but animal's as well. With the public having to foot the extra costs via one means or another.

Perhaps taking this a little further, I knew one person, who shall we say, was very forgetful on how to take their daily medication. This resulted with that particular person having to visit their local pharmacy, when their daily drug dose was provided. The only exception to that, was at a weekend, when the person was supplied with two days supply. I suspect this is happening quite a lot, but again most people are unaware of this practice, except those involved.

I know this thread as gone off track, but at least its become within the confined of Speakers Corner intentions!.

BT 11:47 16 Sep 2015

This resulted with that particular person having to visit their local pharmacy, when their daily drug dose was provided

I've seen this happen in Pharmacies and is often for those on Methadone who unfortunately can't be trusted to take it properly.

spuds 13:35 16 Sep 2015

This particular person liked a bottle or more of wine a day. Complained about lack of sleep due to gout etc, so GP prescribed sleeping tablets. Only problem, every time the person woke up, and wine was limited, it was another sleeping tablet, so a week or months supply was used in a few days.

No matter how you tried, it made no difference, until the GP took drastic steps. Some very colourful language and threats came from that episode :O(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs