White poppy would you/do you were one?

Cymro. 13:51 25 Oct 2018

BBC link

I have never actually seen a white poppy but if someone wants to wear one then I have no objection. Perhaps those who are trying to organise a "white poppy day" should get some more publicity as I sugested you don't see many of threm about.

john bunyan 09:31 04 Nov 2018

*Flat Earther *

I buy other poppies as well, and donate regularly to similar charities. The small enamel poppy money, a new one bought each year is directed to the needs of injured veterans of the particular unit

morddwyd 12:15 04 Nov 2018

Last year I almost had an argument with the poppy seller. Being a vet I try to put in as much as I can afford (I can put faces and voices to the people I remember), and she said that for that much I could have a bigger poppy (I'd picked up the standard linen one). I told her I was not bargaining for a poppy but contributing to the Legion. We had a little "discussion " before I walked away. I later stuck a pound coin in a collecting tin and picked up my linen poppy (I left my original donation at the original site I hasten to add). Do people see it as some sort of competition I wonder?

Forum Editor 14:12 04 Nov 2018

"Do people see it as some sort of competition I wonder?"

There will always be people who do that. I know someone who boasts about how much she and her husband donate to charity, every time I see her. It's very irritating but I suppose it doesn't really matter, as long as the charities receive the money.

BT 08:57 05 Nov 2018

..and she said that for that much I could have a bigger poppy

I've had this comment said to me also and I choose to have the standard one. I did however accept a small Enamel pin one which I wear all year round on my outdoor coat. Some of the Enamel ones are dated so can't really be re-used.

What disturbs me a little is the various jewelled ones available. I know the British legion have their own range of these but there are a lot of sellers supplying them and only contributing a very small amount if anything towards the charity. And do those who buy them actually contribute every year or just wear their old one?

BT 09:02 05 Nov 2018

I see there is now a Purple Poppy to recognise all the Various animals - Horses Dogs etc that gave their lives during war.

Quickbeam 17:55 05 Nov 2018

Just need a vegan poppy now then...

Brumas 18:26 05 Nov 2018

Quickbeam, and, dare I say it, a rainbow hued one ;o}

QuizMan 18:50 05 Nov 2018

I know someone who boasts about how much she and her husband donate to charity

As Tony Hancock once said, "The lapels on my jacket are always the first to go".

Quickbeam 18:07 09 Nov 2018

I see that the PM reverted to the humble paper poppy today in France.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Enter graphic design heaven with these vintage Japanese posters

When is the next Apple event, and what should we expect?

Les meilleures applications pour Android (2019)