Which Bit Do You Not Understand?

morddwyd 08:15 23 Jan 2015

E-Mail to BT

"It is no use trying to telephone me because, I repeat, I am unable to use the telephone. That is why I use e-mail. "

Reply from BT

"............ and we understood your problem. Kindly write us back with your available mobile number to contact you."

Duh!

onthelimit1 08:34 23 Jan 2015

:-)

john bunyan 09:18 23 Jan 2015

I have a somewhat similar problem with British Gas; my wife does not want to be an "On line" customer and send readings in case, one day, I am not around. When they ask for a reading by e mail format and you try to reply "I am not an on line customer" it gets rejected.

BT 11:17 23 Jan 2015

Kindly write us back with your available mobile number to contact you.

They could of course use this to send you Text messages.

Belatucadrus 11:18 23 Jan 2015

A month or so ago I had a problem with BT e-mail, so I used an alternate e-mail address to report the issue. Their response was to send an e-mail me to the address I couldn't access a request for a phone number so that we could "fix the issue by going through voice interaction" Fortunately the problem went away thus allowing me to savour their rather stupid request.

Brumas 13:02 23 Jan 2015

morddwyd, you might have to brush up on your semaphore ;o}

morddwyd 19:20 23 Jan 2015

Would you believe I'm actually of a vintage that did that as part of general training!

bumpkin 19:25 23 Jan 2015

Why don't you give them a ring:-)

john bunyan 19:36 23 Jan 2015

Would you believe I'm actually of a vintage that did that as part of general training

Ditto in RM in '50's - already learned it in Cubs in 1946.....

Morse also, hardly taught now as secure voice obviates the need of the old One Time Pads.

bumpkin 19:40 23 Jan 2015

Without wishing to be nosey or offensive, if you can type an Email why can you not use a telephone.

john bunyan 20:20 23 Jan 2015

Before I retired - 17 years ago - we had a 4 screen workstation which had a key on a single keyboard to switch between main frame, PC and Reuter. The other screen was a touch screen telephone and we had headsets and could use 2 telephones. I am not sure if , these days, such a (simplified) touch screen telephone system is available but I can imagine some issues that may preclude speech as a medium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?