Where were you when you proposed?

Cymro. 12:54 18 Sep 2018

BBC link

So where were you when you proposed to you partner then? In my case we were in the front seat of my Austin 1100 and it was a Bank Holiday. I don't remember which Bank Holiday and I don't want to ask the wife. We got married within a coupler of years and have been happily married for the last 45 years. There was this local busdriver who proposed to his then girlfriend by picking her up at a bus stop and then asking her to marry him in the presence of all his passengers. She accepted but last I heard it did not last and they are now divorced. I can't be doing with all this ask her/him in public nonsense.

Blackhat 15:11 18 Sep 2018

The 1st time I was in a hotel bar in Western Super Mare, 2 years later 2nd time, different girl, same bar, 3rd time another girl, same bar, Number 4, same bar, 1st wife, Silver wedding anniversary next year, you cannot say I didn't try, one barman remembered my 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

Pine Man 15:31 18 Sep 2018

Before I asked my wife, 52 years ago, I though I'd better ask her Dad for permission first, but how and when?

My prayers were answered the next day when he came in to buy petrol where I worked. After filling his car with petrol I gave him his change and said "Double Green Shield stamps today and can I marry your daughter?" It sounded like a bribe but he saw the funny side and agreed.

canarieslover 16:16 18 Sep 2018

Having thought seriously about it I don't actually remember proposing. It just seemed to be something that was taken for granted. Mind you we have been married 54 years so as far as I am concerned it doesn't really matter if I did or didn't.

Cymro. 12:57 19 Sep 2018

Pine Man Before I asked my wife, 52 years ago, I though I'd better ask her Dad for permission first, but how and when?

Yes I also asked my future father in law but only after I had asked the future wife. He was a bit of an old traditionalist and so appreciated my asking him. I was more nervous of asking him than I was of asking the soon to be wife. I wonder what we would have done if he had refused. I guess we would have gone ahead and married anyway. Latter he told his wife there would be no holiday that year as he had a wedding to pay for. Her reaction was to ask if their daughter was pregnant or not. There was no problem there as the kids came along a couple of years after we got married.

Pine Man 15:10 19 Sep 2018

I wonder what we would have done if he had refused.

Not likely in my case - who could turn down DOUBLE Green Shield stamps?

I expect there are a few younger members of the forum wondering what I am talking about;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 19 Sep 2018

Pine Man

1 stamp for every 6d spent and you needed books full to get anything of value.

Everybody collected them as well as the CO OP divi stamps, mentioned in songs from Flanders and Swan, Jethro Tull and Genesis

I'm sure I spent most of my childhood sticking stamps in books :0)

bumpkin 17:29 19 Sep 2018

you needed books full to get anything of value.

Pine Man got a wife for a handfull, that sounds good value to me:-)

BT 08:36 20 Sep 2018

At work.

She was 17 and I was 26. Don't think I actually asked her to marry me, we just agreed. We got married on her 18th Birthday. Her Mom disapproved of me and said it wouldn't last. Been married 46 years next Sunday.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:05 20 Sep 2018

Do "young uns" propose by text or social media nowadays?

:0)

Pine Man 11:09 20 Sep 2018

Do "young uns" propose by text or social media nowadays?

Neither. The majority don't get married!!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs