Where have all the heroic chritian names gone?

john bunyan 11:05 05 Mar 2016
Answered

As in the song (Where have all the flowers gone) "Gone to Graveyards, every one". Browsing through cemetery websites (as you do), I came across one where both Isembard Kingdom Brunel and William Makepeace Thackeray are buried, plus so many other famous people, and these names seem so evocative compared with modern ones like "Brooklyn" "Paris" etc. I suppose it is a sign of age to think of these things!

Kensal Green Cemetery

amonra 16:15 07 Mar 2016

Many years ago my wife and I were sitting in Miami airport waiting for the flight to be announced, and we both heard a coloured lady call out "Horrendar" for her daughter ! I thought I must have mis-heard it, but she repeated the name again. Poor child, can you imagine living with that name.

mbc 16:52 07 Mar 2016

PS-I just recalled that I signed her application, being so qualified to do so. Therefore, I can vouch for the full contents of the application.

bumpkin 16:53 07 Mar 2016

Putting aside for the moment the technicalities of the law, I would have thought that to get any kind of valid ID in the first place that one would require a Birth Certificate. I cannot imagine presenting mine and anyone issuing anything in the name of Hektor Bumpkin just on my say so.

Forum Editor 18:44 07 Mar 2016

mbc

"I suggest that we draw a line under this issue, as you obviously do not believe me."

Of course I believe you,and there's no need for a truce, because as far as I'm concerned there is no war. The information I have provided has come straight from the government web-site, and surely that's the definitive source?

I didn't at any point say that a deed poll was essential when it comes to changing your name, in fact I made no mention of it in my post of 15:46. I simply referred to an 'official document', and obviously an affidavit signed in the presence of a solicitor is an official document.

Lots of people read these posts - far more than the number of people who contribute - and my concern is always to provide information that is as accurate as possible. I wanted to make it quite clear that as far as the official world is concerned it is not enough, just to decide that you want to be known by a different name - you must be able to provide an acceptable form of evidence if you want to deal with institutions and government departments.

RV510 19:41 07 Mar 2016

MBC, if the person was applying for their first passport then they would not need an official document to 'prove' their identity, just fill out the application form with the required information, if on the other hand it was to renew a passport then it would be a different matter, if that person had a Police record, a change of name might be and probably is another matter. As FE said, you definitely do need the Deed Poll official documentation for what he quoted

bumpkin 20:03 07 Mar 2016

MBC, if the person was applying for their first passport then they would not need an official document to 'prove' their identity, just fill out the application form with the required information,

The correct information being your real name not an assumed one or how can they check anything.

Forum Editor 09:21 08 Mar 2016

RV510

"if the person was applying for their first passport then they would not need an official document to 'prove' their identity, just fill out the application form with the required information,"

You cannot obtain a first passport without a birth certificate.

Ungus 09:06 10 Mar 2016
Answer

Depends on where you live and your own particular local and family culture. My christian name and my brothers and sisters all crop up over and over again through the ages and the same applies to my son in law, Sean Seamus Padraig Seoras and the more modern one John Paul probably down to the fact that you don't want to upset anyone in the family by breaking from traditions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

Procreate 5 launches with the world’s biggest brush library – hands-on and specs for the 2019 update

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !