Where have all the colourful signes gone?

caccy 16:11 19 Nov 2017

Pub signs used to be artistic,colourful and informative now many just seem to be drab line drawings in two nondescript colours!

I can understand that cost could be one reason but can't think of any other. Is this just a "Home Counties" thing or is it widespread?

canarieslover 18:18 19 Nov 2017

At the rate that pubs are shutting down I dont blame them for not spending money on the sign.

Aitchbee 19:36 19 Nov 2017

One large pub in nearby high street, which shut down about 5 years ago, has been reborn as a restaurant called The Steak Inn and a cake shop, What The Fudge! [in garish pink lettering]

Both terrible names with malevolent undertones, I reckon.

bumpkin 20:36 19 Nov 2017

Aitchbee, you could try googling "The Foul Mouthed (c+3 other letters) for a colouful sign ang language

Aitchbee 20:56 19 Nov 2017

bumpkin, there's a wee pub in Glesga called The Ubiquitous C*, the smallest in Scotland!

bumpkin 21:10 19 Nov 2017

" the smallest in Scotland!"

Did you manage to squeeze your head in.

Aitchbee 21:17 19 Nov 2017

Of course not, bumpkin. It's the Ubiquitous Chip!!

bumpkin 21:48 19 Nov 2017

Microchip? you said it was small.

Aitchbee 22:03 19 Nov 2017

Another nearby pub is called The Oasis, 'cos it was once the only pub for miles around in one of the largest [and driest] housing-schemes in Europe. [ie. Castlemilk]

It's still there.

wee eddie 22:03 19 Nov 2017

While the Ubiquitous Chip is not huge, its reputation is.

I think that it's fair to say that it, and it alone, put Glasgow's Culinary Reputation on the world map.

Aitchbee 22:08 19 Nov 2017

...It had a luscious Palm Trees sign to attract any lost souls ;o]

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?