Where are they going to go ?

Dragon_Heart 11:57 15 Sep 2015
Answered

So the latest fig suggests 20,0000 migrants will be allow to legally enter the UK over the next 5 years.

My guess is that most will not come as individuals but as family units. So for simple maths lets say the 20 k are a 4 person family's.

That will require 50000 new or existing 'affordable' housing a thing which the government has already said is in short supply !

10,000 children, OK not all may be in the 5 to 16 years age bracket but that possibly that many new school places, again a 'commodity' in short supply.

Those children will require teaching and support staff, possibly bilingual.

The 20,000 will also require the infrastructure in place to support them.

This is onto of the estimated thousands of illegal imminent population already in the UK.

The UK spent £11.4bn on foreign aid last year of which only about 15% went to Asia. Did you know the UK is the first and only, so far, G7 country to meet / exceed the UN’s 45-year-old aid spending target of 0.7% of it's gross national income ?

spuds 12:52 15 Sep 2015

Why does it always come down to statistics, which in a number of cases are far off the mark.

Already we have ghettos forming in some areas, which are turning into possible 'no-go-areas' to outsiders. Most of this was formed off the back of special government support and aid to council's. Yet at the same time, people born and bred here, are being denied their basic rights because of serious funding cut-backs on essential services.

Then people begin to wonder why there is a feeling of unrest in some quarters, when there is clear evidence of misuse, in the name of humanity!.

A typical case of hypocrisy, is with my own local council. When the people from the West Indies were arriving on these shores, many years ago under an assisted passage scheme, my local council actually paid for advertising, stating that they did not want "these people" here, because it was suggested that they would be more of a burden to the taxpayer, than help. Now that very same council, seems to have a very open-arm policy, especially to non-residents of this country. It just doesn't make any sense!.

Gordon Freeman 13:36 15 Sep 2015

"A typical case of hypocrisy..."

I don't think it's hypocrisy at all; times have changed and so have attitudes, fortunately.

wee eddie 14:11 15 Sep 2015

We have villages here, in South West Scotland, where they are bulldozing perfectly good houses because no one wants to live there. Little or no work locally and a deficient Transport Structure.

Maybe the process could be interrupted, for a while anyway, to provide emergency housing for these Refugees

spuds 14:58 15 Sep 2015

"We have villages here, in South West Scotland, where they are bulldozing perfectly good houses because no one wants to live there. Little or no work locally and a deficient Transport Structure."

That comment can also fit quite a number of other areas, with the same issue. And that is not only in the UK, but also within the EU. Brand new housing estates, being bulldozed, then at the same time, hear about homelessness and housing shortages, and even bedroom tax!.

bremner 16:36 15 Sep 2015

"My guess is that most will not come as individuals but as family units. So for simple maths lets say the 20 k are a 4 person family's".

Why do you guess that. The government has said 20,000 migrants mostly orphaned child and vulnerable adults. No suggestion whatsoever of 20,000 families.

Comments like yours are what I expect from The Daily Mail.

lotvic 17:23 15 Sep 2015

latest fig suggests 20,0000 migrants will be allow to legally enter the UK over the next 5 years

I thought that was refugees not migrants?

wee eddie 17:55 15 Sep 2015

One is lead to believe that Eire (Southern Ireland) has thousands of unsold houses after it's Housing Boom went belly up.

bremner 18:07 15 Sep 2015

Lotvic

You are quite correct and Cameron has very optimistically said he hopes that after a few years things will have improved enough in Syria and they will be able to return.

Dragon_Heart 03:15 20 Sep 2015
Answer

"No suggestion whatsoever of 20,000 families" if you read my Thread I DID NOT SAY THAT !

I am 100% positive my original thread said 5000 homes not 50,000.

"I thought that was refugees not migrants ?" Are migrants not just refugees who migrate from country to country ?

bremner 08:02 20 Sep 2015

You said family units and then multiplied the 20,000 by 4 to suggest 80,000 people.

It would be good if you could at least remember what you had written, here's a clue look at the top of the page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures tablettes tactiles (2018)