When unexpected tragedy strikes suddenly...

spuds 11:21 06 Oct 2015
Answered

it can be very distressful for all concerned, but sometimes things that were thought not possible can and does happen, and perhaps some people call these miracles!.

I recall on this forum a few years ago, when one particular member was stating on a debate, how they had never had a days illness, never asked for hand-outs and was more than self-sufficient, and could not really understand why other people needed these things.

At that time I attempted to try and point out, that the unexpected can happen to anyone, no matter how immune or invincible they think they are. Within minutes or even seconds, your whole life can be vastly different, than what it was a earlier, yet some people still do not realise this!.

The article in question click here

Ungus 14:16 06 Oct 2015

Yep always remember ill health made redundant falling off a horse can happen to anyone so never get to cocky and always think of those worse off than yourself.

Forum Editor 14:55 06 Oct 2015

"I attempted to try and point out, that the unexpected can happen to anyone, no matter how immune or invincible they think they are. Within minutes or even seconds, your whole life can be vastly different, than what it was a earlier, yet some people still do not realise this!."

I certainly do.

In the late summer of 2012 I was sawing up a large oak log in my garden. The log was around 3 metres long and about a foot in diameter. I had it up on a pair of trestles, and was happily sawing away when one of the trestles broke, dumping the log onto my left foot. I sustained multiple breaks and dislocations to the bones of the foot, and was in hospital for eight days following complex surgery to stabilise my foot with six screws. I was in plaster and on crutches for five months, and then back to hospital for another operation to remove the screws, following which I wore a plastic air-boot for a further four months.

Finally, after nine months I could walk again, albeit with a limp, and I didn't work for almost a year. When you are self-employed that's not funny.

Now, three years later I still get pain when I get out of a chair, or get up in the morning - it takes me about five minutes before I can walk. I'm told It will be that way for the rest of my life.

The accident happened in a second, so I certainly agree with what you say.

spuds 10:38 07 Oct 2015
Answer

Bump...

oresome 17:28 07 Oct 2015

We go through life facing risks and usually believe that misfortune only happens to others.

When it does happen to us or a loved one, the impact can be enormous and life changing for all concerned.

Some people face increased risks in the performance of their jobs and I'm thinking at the moment of the police constable mown down by the stolen vehicle, the two little girls who have lost their Dad and his wife who has to tell them Daddies not coming home.

Forum Editor 17:41 07 Oct 2015

"I'm thinking at the moment of the police constable mown down by the stolen vehicle"

Yes, a tragic example of how one life is ended and several more are changed forever in a few seconds by someone else's action. Nobody goes out of the house in the morning thinking 'I might be killed today'. It's the nightmare that we all hope will never happen, and of course for most of us it never does.

As spuds said, "...the unexpected can happen to anyone, no matter how immune or invincible they think they are."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)