What is your favourite piece of Tech?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 11 Aug 2019
Answered

Just had a problem with my old 4th gen Kindle - battery warning messages, tried the reset fix yesterday but only got 30 mins last night and 20 mins this morning after a full charge yesterday.

This has probably been my best value for money and favourite tech purchase, had thousands of hours enjoyment from it since it's purchase.

Worst was probably a Nexus 7 tablet that slowed to a crawl after couple of Android updates and will probably be re-purposed to a digital photo frame or something when I have time.

So what is your best / favourite bit of tech and waht is your worst, and why?

iscanut 16:14 16 Aug 2019

My original Kindle, purchased when it was first released,is still going strong and would not do without it.

WhirlingRound 19:07 17 Aug 2019

Menzie, if traffic is holding you up to that extent, have you considered cycling or using public transport?

Quickbeam 19:36 17 Aug 2019

'It means that I can't be part of any auto enthusiast conversation as to them automatics are terrible and killing real motoring.'

It's them terrible electric cars that are killing real motoring now!

Pine Man 09:21 18 Aug 2019

automatics are terrible and killing real motoring.

It's them terrible electric cars that are killing real motoring now!

I am a motoring enthusiast and still love driving. A few years ago I would have agreed having owned several Golf GTIs. Two Golfs ago I changed to an automatic with the DSG gear box and as far as I am concerned that improved my driving experience.

I now have the best of both worlds, I believe, having bought a Golf GTE petrol/hybrid. It also has a DSG gearbox, a 1.4 petrol engine and an electric motor. Driving locally the car is always in electric mode and over long distances it is in petrol mode. In the event that I want some sporty driving I can use both the petrol and electric motor together and have the performance of a GTI.

oresome 10:58 18 Aug 2019

I find the hard drive video recorder the most useful technology.

Who remembers the days of the video cassette recorder and the faffing about setting the timer and then some time later having to run through a tape to find the start of the recording?

The TV sound bar is the most underused item because the lip sync has never been accurate. I can add delay, but it's the inherent delay of the device that's the problem and I can't remove that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 18 Aug 2019

HDD recorders seem to be dying out in these days of on demand streaming and "Freeview play". But I have two (his and hers) that still get used.

Menzie 03:09 19 Aug 2019

Menzie, if traffic is holding you up to that extent, have you considered cycling or using public transport?

Whirlinground - I would like to cycle to work, sadly part of my journey is on the motorway so I cannot. Motorcycles and bicycles are only usable for a portion of the year anyway. We can get several feet of snow as early as mid-September.

Public transport is not great, that is the main reason the roads are filled with cars. The buses in this town run every 30mins to an hour and some cut service completely at 6pm. Some don't go the full route after 6pm too. Using the bus, the 20 mins it would take me when clear takes an hour. There are no bus lanes so the buses also sit in the traffic mostly. They can cut ahead by going straight using turning lanes but no dedicated lanes are here.

oresome 15:31 19 Aug 2019

HDD recorders seem to be dying out in these days of on demand streaming and "Freeview play". But I have two (his and hers) that still get used.

Two problems with streaming for me.

I can't skip the adds and subtitles or not always available.

We watched Deep Water, a story of every day life in the Lake District on the ITV hub and neither of us could hear all the dialogue and there were no subtitles available that I could find.

john bunyan 16:35 19 Aug 2019

My oldest and favourite, used every day are 2 small radios - one bought for £10 over 30 years ago when I worked in Holland- battery lasts forever and it has FM and long wave ( could get Radio 4 in Holland) , and a very small pocket fm radio used with cans on which I listen to Radio 4 - a channel that , if there were no TV , I would be happy with. I used to have a good, small, short wave Radio when I traveled more and could pick up BBC Overseas In places like Karachi, Kuala Lumpur etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 19 Aug 2019

used with cans

:0)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Create live VFX

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Comparatif : Apple Watch Series 5 vs Series 4