What is your favourite piece of Tech?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 11 Aug 2019

Just had a problem with my old 4th gen Kindle - battery warning messages, tried the reset fix yesterday but only got 30 mins last night and 20 mins this morning after a full charge yesterday.

This has probably been my best value for money and favourite tech purchase, had thousands of hours enjoyment from it since it's purchase.

Worst was probably a Nexus 7 tablet that slowed to a crawl after couple of Android updates and will probably be re-purposed to a digital photo frame or something when I have time.

So what is your best / favourite bit of tech and waht is your worst, and why?

Cymro. 12:00 11 Aug 2019

I don't wish to be obstropalus F.B. but the worst bit of hightec that came in to our house was a digital photo frame. It was bought us by one of the children in one of those what do I get Mom+Dad for Christmas moments. We were never once for taking photographs and never even owned a camera. The camera on my iPhone also a present from one of my children has never been used. It probably took longer to set up than it was in use and ended up in some drawer never to see the light of day. As for the best hightec I ever had well I am not too sure but that first laptop I ever had was good value for money again bough me by the children.

john bunyan 16:19 11 Aug 2019

Best is a ( not too big) smart TV with Freeview. Being selective there are excellent documentary programmes, series like Poldark, Beecham House and many more. Some, here, claim TV is not watched. Fine, but do all their household agree? For older people who can’t travel as they used to , watching, for example, Blue Planet In hi def is very entertaining. Bought a wildlife camera ( sort you strap to a tree) Haven’t yet found exactly how to set it up as instructors are a bit obscure

grumpy old man 16:35 11 Aug 2019

My best bit of tech is a £25 pay as you go phone from Tesco's , all I can do with it is send a text and make a phone call and as phone technology goes thats all I want a phone to do.

My worse piece of tech is my Samsung tab 6a tablet , until the last firmware update I thought it was brilliant but now I have loads of puzzles and apps that now refuse to work , even the ones that do work close for no apparent reason and before you ask I don't have any kind of infections on it.

CYMRO go stand in the naughty corner , line 3 word 2 , when I go to Scotland for our 2 week break Dobbie's garden centre near Perth put THAT stuff out at the end of august.

Forum Editor 17:08 11 Aug 2019

I would not want to be without my phone or my Kindle.

Or my smart TV. Or my DSLR camera.

My worst ever Tech device was the one mentioned by Cymro - a digital photo-frame bought, as was Cymro's, by one of my children as a seasonal present. My son knew it was a bad idea, but he was in one of those (typically male) panic shopping situations, two days before the event.

Menzie 17:22 11 Aug 2019

My favourite bit of tech will be my hi-fi, home theatre and car systems. I am very into my music and movies, so like having high quality, proper sounding systems around me is a must.

The worst tech device was probably an old Windows 6 Mobile phone. I bought it and it was just terrible. It froze and crashed all the time. After the second time it crashed I ended up buying an alarm clock as it meant I was late for work. Calling the manufacturer they said if the fault was "software" (I had nothing installed but the default stuff at that point), I would have to pay out of pocket. Ended up smashing it to pieces and buying my first Android phone. Never looked back and never bought from that brand again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 11 Aug 2019

Success after another attempt at charging and a couple more resets an my beloved Kindle appears to be working normally again, battery showing nearly full and no symbol on battery or warnings appearing.

After all that browsing of reviews for the new kindle or Paperwhite I still prefer the buttons rather than leaving fingermarks on a touch screen.

JB bought a 43" $K Samsung for the wife last November just for that sort of thing but she screamed it was too big and so it sits in the spare room where the grandson uses to watch Youtube kids. :0)

john bunyan 19:41 11 Aug 2019

FB

Bought same model from Curry’s. Found a week later that via Samsung and Defence Discount Card could have got it for £200 cheaper- Doh. Got a more or less free soundbar though. The room is biggish so my wife tolerates it!

Menzie 20:59 11 Aug 2019

43 inches is too big?! I'm thinking of replacing my 40" with a 75". I've been looking at 55" 4K models which are currently on sale but really want to go bigger.

What I may do is end up getting a 55" for the living room but going with a projector in the basement when we get a new place.

I'm planning a nice home cinema with proper cinema style seats, popcorn maker and a great sound system. I've been looking into how much something like that would cost.

Quickbeam 21:33 11 Aug 2019

Will you employ an usherette too?

john bunyan 22:12 11 Aug 2019

I wonder what Cymro thinks of Menzie’s proposal? This forum certainly has some contrasts.

Menzie

Don’t forget , at the interval, to have a lady with one of those lit up trays offering ice cream. If you were in UK I’d pay to come in!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Witcher 3 (Switch) Preview

Classic posters from Cuba's Golden Age celebrate cinema and revolution

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Comment télécharger des films et séries Amazon Prime Video ?