what would you do if?

saintorsinner 17:51 27 Apr 2006

what would you do if your computer got a virus that held you to ransom click here i would rather reformat my computer than payup but i have nothing on my computer that a few hours work couldnt replace.

watchful 17:56 27 Apr 2006

but whatever will they come up with next?

saintorsinner 18:00 27 Apr 2006

i suppose for people who's livelyhood depends on their computer the question is one of time and money. makes investment in a good backup system seem even more important.

blanco 18:50 27 Apr 2006

Nothing to do with your extension of the question but it did remind me (especially seeing your name) of the large poster outside a non-conformist church in Liverpool many years ago now that said:
What would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool today?
to which a local had added the graffiti
Move St John to inside forward.

Skills 23:58 27 Apr 2006

Wipe the lot and start again. Ive gotten alot better at backups now. If I needed to get something off the drive id boot with a live linux disk copy files to cd and away you go

Devil Fish 00:22 28 Apr 2006

run a preboot virus scan to clear it

DrScott 00:32 28 Apr 2006

Think I'd go the linux route too...

saintorsinner 00:52 28 Apr 2006

the thing that gives me nightmares is the thought of a keylogger as i buy a lot of stuff online.must be even worse for online bankers!

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:49 28 Apr 2006

I have yet to see personal details taken from a home computer by a keylogger.

G

spuds 09:37 28 Apr 2006

My computer holds me to ransom every working day. Will it blue screen, freeze,crash or be plain stubborn.

My ransom payment is a few uncivil words, threats of eviction etc,starvation of an electrical supply for a few minutes, soon resolves the problems :O)

Thinking this over, its a bit like some limited trial programme downloads. Dozens of problems found on a scan, with the only solution by purchasing the product. What do they call it, False/Positives!.

dmc727 10:26 28 Apr 2006

“what would you do if?”

Sell my story to the Sun and buy a new computer with the money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?