what word anoy you and why

mrgrumpy 23:40 16 Oct 2019

I grit my teeth when my younger cousins tell a story and instead of saying "he said" they say blah blah blah followed by " an I guss ". One day I asked the question WHO is annie guss .

Not white characters ( I am NOT racist) in a certain soap opera say I axed him or is it pronounces I ark st him , so did the person say they killed somebody or just used a word that is not in the dictionary.

All you regulars know I like to do "speakers corner " posts about all sorts of things just to see what others think , I am 64 , maybe I should change my tag from grumpy old man to victor meldrew

polymath 11:14 03 Nov 2019

'Step change' as used by politicians and advertisers. It seems to have taken over from the equally misappropriated 'sea change' when trying to make an alteration to something sound more dynamic.

Oh, and 'dynamic' as code for 'young' in job adverts, to evade ageism legislation. As if the human brain grinds to a halt at age 30. (Perpetuating ageism very efficiently).

Words adopted from young children; our daughter's 'dulgey', for timid, muddy colouring (as in dulgey-green wellies).

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

macOS Catalina: Latest Version, Updates, Problems, Fixes & Features

Les meilleurs téléphones Android (à moins de 600 €)