What will you be having for lunch on Christmas day

Forum Editor 14:07 22 Dec 2016

Everywhere I go, I hear talk of Geese, three-bird roasts, ballotines, pan-fried sprouts with this or that, celeriac, jerusalem artichokes and all kinds of exotic gravies and accompaniments.

I wondered what the average PCA forum member will be eating.

Our son and his family will be with us, and he and I will cook a traditional turkey, with all the trimmings. He likes to make ballotines and loves celeriac, and I do like the sprouts pan fried with bacon bits, but no goose or three-bird roast.

What about you?

csqwared 14:37 22 Dec 2016

Fairly straightforward for us this year (times is 'ard), turkey crown, pigs in blankets, roast spuds, pan fried sprouts with bacon (my favourite too). Son-in-law's an Aussie, a brilliant cook, so ther'll no doubt be something extra special to go with it plus the aussie wines he insists on. Joint effort prepping but he does the cooking which makes it all the more enjoyable. Have a good 'un.

hastelloy 14:42 22 Dec 2016

We'll be at my daughters and she will do the traditional turkey with all the trimmings, including the inevitable Brussels, although she's vegetarian so will be eating some sort of veggie roast.

Macscouse 14:50 22 Dec 2016

Fillet steak from Moray farm for each of us. Never been able to eat any form of bird or fish.

Belatucadrus 14:50 22 Dec 2016

May well be having the three bird roast but mainly because Aldi had some at half price and with only the two of us this year it looks to be less of a bind than a crown.

iscanut 15:39 22 Dec 2016

Very tasty rolled shoulder of lamb with stuffing. Never bother with turkey.

Forum Editor 15:41 22 Dec 2016

Before Henry Viii had turkey for his Christmas meal, people were used to eating geese and peacocks, at least some of them were.

There is a record of a man called William Strickland bringing four turkeys from America to England in 1526. He sold them for tuppence each. Nowadays, even a small turkey will cost around £14.

HondaMan 16:03 22 Dec 2016

Chicken, sprouts with bacon, carrots, cabbage with bacon and cream, roast spuds and peas that's after a few pints at the local hostelry whilst 'er indoors does the cooking. She'll join me for the last hour

bumpkin 16:16 22 Dec 2016

I suppose it depends on ones personal taste but I have always found turkey a bit bland. Traditional for Christmas Day of course but why do we not eat it during the rest of the year. Roast beef for me.

chub_tor 16:19 22 Dec 2016

My wife and I have been vegetarian for over 30 years now so we will be going down the homemade nut roast route but with roasted parsnips, roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots and veggie gravy, accompanied by a good Australian Shiraz. But for me the most important part will be home made Christmas pudding with custard - I could eat that every day. Then home made mince pies with clotted cream as Her Majesty recites her annual speech. Probably followed by a snooze.....

oresome 17:20 22 Dec 2016

I'll decide when I sit down at the table.

My wife usually cooks a turkey breast and joints of beef, pork and ham. The sprouts will come with chestnuts and the pigs with blankets. The potatoes will be both mashed and roasted and the seasoning will be homemade. Carrots or swede will complete the vegetable line up.

The problem with all this is that I'm faced with eating the leftovers for days afterwards and I never feel hungry for it. Offer me a Chinese takeaway or fish and chips though and I'll jump at the chance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?