Hot Topics

What time do you wake up during the Night.

Govan1x 15:34 12 Apr 2018

This might not last long but thought that I would mention it to see if others maybe have the same problem.

I seem to have a sleeping problem when I wake up during the night.

I look at my watch and it quite often it is at 4.20 am.

The same time keeps popping up which I thought was unusual but it seems I am not the only one that wakes up at that time.

My problem is when I see that time on my watch it makes me wonder why and its a waste of time going back to bed as there is no chance of getting back to sleep.

A bit bored so decided to google What happened at 4.20am. And sure enough a chap on one of the forums with the same problem and same time.

And yes you have guessed it I was up at 4.20 am today again.

Quickbeam 18:57 14 Apr 2018

The vast majority of commercial bread is made by the Chorelywood process.

To avoid it you have to buy artisan made small production run bread that is about 3 or 4 times the price, not many are prepared to pay that as it stales very quickly, but is much tastier.

One of the great benefits of the Chorleywood process in that a huge water adsorbtion is possible that keeps bread fresh for a week and reduced waste. Other than that, the bread is still flour based.

wee eddie 19:26 14 Apr 2018

Bumpkin: That's the place

bumpkin 19:33 14 Apr 2018

QB, so where would I get some decent bread as I find most of what I buy pretty bland even the seeded loaves. I bought some granary bread from local Budgens which was good but when I went back for some more there was none and I was told that they don't have any and never had.

wee eddie 19:54 14 Apr 2018

That's the challenge. Many Supermarket premium ranges are OK but not all. Artisan Bakers are like hens teeth.

Quickbeam 06:18 15 Apr 2018

bumpkin

Baker confectioner is my trade, but over the 30 years the small bakers shop on the high street has disappeared. The supermarket instore bakeries don't do a bad job of offering craft breads, but as I said, it's a lot more expensive by x2, which becomes x4 if you don't consume it all before it goes stale as most don't.

You could make your own, but even with the timed breadmakers you can get now, but that's a faff and a lot of people that buy one and stop using it within a month have only managed to make half a dozen very expensive loaves before the breadmaker gets moved to the back of the bottom kitchen cupboard!

The main problem going back to wee eddie's comment is that modern bread is a lot denser with the extra water content, so lies heavy and bloats the stomach if you're inactive after eating it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:24 15 Apr 2018

Didn't think it was good to eat before bedtime as you don't burn off the calories while asleep and it turns to fat (Sumo as an exaple).

Some ome said but I can't remember who:

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper"

click here

bumpkin 16:59 15 Apr 2018

Thanks for the info, I normaly buy bread in a supermarket but will try a local baker. As for making your own my father does but I have never tried it. I have tried some home baked from friends of varying quality (the bread that is) but as has been said it soon becomes a five minute wonder.

wee eddie 17:49 15 Apr 2018

Many local Bakers are no better than the Supermarkets. It's an Artisan Baker shop that you need to find

bumpkin 19:49 15 Apr 2018

How would I know, bakers are just called bakers where I live.

flycatcher1 20:05 15 Apr 2018

I see that I am not alone with a disturbed sleep pattern. It does not matter whatever time I do to bed I have to water the desert at two hour intervals until about five and then things improve. When I say every two hours I mean it just a couple of minutes either side. I will try the two paracetamol suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Apple releases the public beta for macOS Big Sur

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)