Hot Topics

What tech features do you want in cars?

CarMad 15:20 28 Jul 2020

Steering away from all the political posts in this forum and on to something more exciting.

I remember watching all the car shows growing up and seeing all these new cars coming up with all these cool features. Looking at them now, they seem to have come to a bit of a standstill.

The only thing really coming seems to be electric cars (which have been a while now but now more are coming) and autonimous cars which I think are a long way off simply because laws will need to change as well.

But I was thinking, that with electric and hybrid cars having larger batteries (even Mild hybrids which are appearing everywhere) then surely these batteries could be used for more tech?

Quiller47 16:22 28 Jul 2020

"What tech features do you want in cars?"

Cannot think of much. My new car does just about everything except full automatic driving. On adaptive cruise control it will accelerate, brake, stop the car from drifting out of lanes and even steer by its self around bends while keeping a safe constant speed. It parks on the left hand side by its self. Has satnav, apple and ipod connectivity, speech recognition, keyless opening and starting. The boot opens by passing a foot or hand over the sensor and its got sensors everywhere are the perimeter. The list goes on.

Is it a merc, or abnw or audi.

No its just a vw. All this tech has filtered down from the most expensive of cars to everyday machines.

Quickbeam 17:18 28 Jul 2020

I’ve reached the age where all I want it to do is get me to my destination reliably and there are no longer unreliable cars that litter the hard shoulder like in the 70s!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 28 Jul 2020

surly too much tech is distracting.

Touch screens are more distracting on the radio then the old knobs.

and with all the driving tech people will struggle to drive without it.

that started to happen 50yrs ago. click here

Pine Man 17:29 28 Jul 2020

surely these batteries could be used for more tech?

When you have had an electric/hybrid car, as I have had, you will realise just how wrong that statement is, IMHO, of course.

Everything that you switch on reduces your range, causing anxiety. On the car I am just getting rid of, by merely switching on the heating reduces the range by a minimum of 6 miles. Similarly aircon or heated seats gives the battery a bashing.

For the life of me I can't understand why servicing should cost twice as much either.

Next week I take delivery of a good old fashioned petrol engined car!!

Al94 19:17 28 Jul 2020

White noise so I can't hear the back seat driver aka wife!

morddwyd 19:35 28 Jul 2020

Self drive, controlled by voice.

Aitchbee 21:55 28 Jul 2020

Nanobot robot brain implants for every driver ... might be the next big thing.

click here

Pablo de Catio 22:48 28 Jul 2020

Eye test before the engine will fire up.

wee eddie 23:12 28 Jul 2020

P de C: Never get to Barnard Castle that way!

Brumas 23:17 28 Jul 2020

Pablo de Catio also a built in breathaliser to stop those idiotic morons causing carnage on the roads!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 4a review

Zarin Baksh magickally merges the female form with fantasy

New iMac 2020 release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour animaux (2020)