Huawei MateBook X Pro review
My parents shopped with the same bags for years, and at a time when very little food came in it's own packaging, but I don't remember getting any form of food poisoning. Meat was wrapped in greaseproof and a thicker paper on the outside that only seemed to absorb the blood, fruit and veg were thrown in loose from the scoop they were weighed in and groceries were put into cartridge paper bags. By today's standards that would not be considered very hygenic. Today we have almost every item individually packed, and in many cases that is sealed wrapping, yet it appears that we are now more open to food poisoning because we are re-using our shopping bags. Are we not building up the resistance that we once had or have the bugs got stronger???
you will find, small quantities of, almost any Bacteria that you wish.
With a few notable exceptions, all the harmful Pathogens are happy in the wild and are present on your hands a few, daily tasks, after you washed them.
It's a fairly standard scaremongering story
I think that what canarieslover says in his last sentence is right. Because our children are so wrapped up against anything which might make them ill, they all losing the body's natural ability to build resistance to everyday germs.
Personally, I was lucky enough to grow up on a farm in Ireland. I was booted out of the house in the morning and had the run of the farm until called in for meals or whatever other atrocity my Mum could inflict - dancing classes (with GIRLS!?)springs to mind. I played in the cattle sheds, pig styes, mud and muck. I learned the hard way that if you fell off a haystack while fooling around, your arrival on the hard ground tended to hurt. So it's probably best not to fool around when 20 feet up in the air. Yes, there were times I ate things which I shouldn't and got sick. But I recovered each time and still live to tell the tale.
I firmly believe that having had just 12 days off sick in more than 50 years of continual employment must be due, to some extent, by the resistance to germs built up during my formative years.
I wonder if they have tested the carpet in the boot of the cars used to take the shopping home from the supermarket? Almost perfect growing conditions in my car, if you could find the carpet under bags of horse feed, hay and a couple of border collies who have been out in the fields for a month between baths.
Like ams4127 I grew up in the country and crossed fields to get to school.
More often than not you had to slap the cattle to get them out of the way of the stile, and the pigs were always delighted to see you and were reluctant to let you past without having their back scratched, not to mention Sammy the hand reared lamb who even as a fully grown twp would come charging across to be petted (as he hadn't been de-horned, a pretty terrifying sight!) and Goody Two Shoes, a massive shire who also liked people since the small ones frequently had apples.
The only time I remember deliberately and consciously washing our hands was when we had been out collecting sheep droppings to make liquid tomato feed!
My only memories of being poisoned, all as an adult, have involved sausages (twice!) and rice.
Not saying that was necessarily healthy, but I do feel that we now live in an all too sterile world.
Interesting that you mention rice. Its usually a problem with reheated rice.
Extract from Food Standards Agency Website
"It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.
Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.
So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that bacteria, or the toxins they produce, could stop the rice being safe to eat.
It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.
Remember that when you reheat any food, you should always check that it's steaming hot all the way through, and avoid reheating more than once."
Don't get many people round for tea then.
I made a rice based dish last night for my dinner tonight and until I read your second last paragraph I was going home to tip it in the bin. As I have it in the fridge I take it it will be OK? I have already had an upset stomach this week (Monday)which kept me off work, the first day off since I started this job 2 years ago.
EHOs recommend that, after cooking, any spare rice must be returned to room temperature within 90 minutes and you should then store it, in a closed container, at below 5'C for 4 to 5 days.
If it has been cooked in 'salted' water and/or the fridge temperature is below 3'C, these limits can be extended a little.
I keep my fridge at about 4'C, if you have it too cold, many milk products and vegetables can be adversely affected.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.