Hot Topics

What is the service life of a fridge?

Quickbeam 07:47 24 Jun 2017

I ask because the man from Hotpoint talking on the 60,000 fridges of the type involved in the Grenfell fire said that that model was made between 2006/9 and expected that most would have been long scrapped by now.

I can remember all 4 fridges that have been in our household since a young 'un! Two were my parents from birth until early 20s, the other two were mine, the current one was bought around 2000 and still works fine.

Am I unusual in this, or do people change fridges after only a few years?

bumpkin 19:12 24 Jun 2017

I had a big chest freezer about 25yrs old and working perfectly but in my garage and getting a bit rusty and tatty as I often used it as a workbench. I had two smaller fridge/freezes indoors all of which had been replaced 3or4 times in the same time period. They used to make things to last once but now for various reasons (good or bad) it is no longer the case. Apart from failure of the item we also have the fashion or updating factors resulting in perfectly good few year old appliances being just thrown away as they have virtually no second hand value. Back to your point I would expect a modern one to last a min of 5yrs.

Quickbeam 19:26 24 Jun 2017

So, why would a fridge burst into flames?

I've never heard of that before. As others have said you fit the fridge, plug it in, maybe pull it out once a year to clean the dust and dropped food bits away, but basically you leave it insitu until it stops working. In which case, you just go out and buy another one.

morddwyd 20:17 24 Jun 2017

They so have an electric motor, which can do that at times, and the evaporator cab really get clogged with dust and overheat.

Hotpoint do have form for overheating appliances!

click here

bumpkin 21:36 24 Jun 2017

Why do computers freeze.

Quickbeam 22:38 24 Jun 2017

Computers are always freezing up. the Grenfell fridge is the only one I've heard of to catch fire.

But I will make a point of vacuuming the back of mine tomorrow.

oresome 09:57 25 Jun 2017

It's easier to see a tumble drier bursting into flames........they contain a heating element and the tumble action produces a lot of fluff which will readily catch fire in contact with the element.

I would think fires caused by faulty fridges are a much rarer occurrence, but electrical insulation can breakdown through physical damage, age, heat or rodents and electrical contacts or connections can deteriorate and cause sparking.

Certainly fridges need adequate ventilation and the cooling fins to be kept clean. This in turn reduces the duty cycle and saves on running costs. With the recent hot weather, fridges will have been working overtime.

bumpkin 12:45 25 Jun 2017

I suppose anything with electrical components can catch fire. Some more likely than others, I would put a fridge fairly low on the risk list though.

Forum Editor 13:15 25 Jun 2017

If a fridge is going to catch fire it seems to me that it is more likely to do so during a spell of warm weather, when the compressor is going to be working much harder. The risk is going to increase dramatically if the appliance is in direct sunlight for long periods, and if there is insufficient ventilation space at the rear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

Diversity Matters more than ever in illustration

Apple doubles price of MacBook Pro RAM upgrade

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans